Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concern about DS weight gain with oversupply

Default Concern about DS weight gain with oversupply

I read that normal weight gain for newborns should be about an ounce a day but my DS is averaging a 2 ounce weight gain per day. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Default Re: Concern about DS weight gain with oversupply

I guess you'll have to see what your pediatrician says. Was your son born early? My lo was a mo. early and she has surpassed her birthweight at 1 month . Ah... the powers of breastmilk!!!!!

The normal weight gain that you read about is just an average. Many oversupplied moms have babies who are fast gainers. Breastfed babies tend to even out their weight gain overtime...thining out and gaining less as they become mobile.

Here are a couple of articles about the how breastfeeding can help prevent childhood obesity:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJanFebMar07p2.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul02p51.html

As always, if you are concerned about your child's health, talk to your health care provider.

HTH,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by Lansdowne View Post
    I guess you'll have to see what your pediatrician says. Was your son born early? My lo was a mo. early and she has surpassed her birthweight at 1 month . Ah... the powers of breastmilk!!!!!
    DS was born a few days after 40 weeks. He was 6 lb. 3 oz, went down to 5 lb 11 oz., and at his 2 week check up he was 7 lbs. 7 oz! My doc didn't seem concerned. Her main thing was making sure we didnt need to supplement him at all. I just think that its alot of weight gain. I wont see the doc for another 2 months so I'm hoping he wont be too huge by then

That amount per day ( a little over 2 ounces, right?) sounds an awful lot like what we did and the baby is healthy and thriving. I think you might want to consider that some extra baby fat is good, when they catch a cold they can lose a bunch of weight. Seems like no cause for concern.

Hiya,

This sounds a lot like my wee Aiden. I have a very OALD and OS issues. And he has been gaining about 2oz a day, he doubled his birth weight at 7 weeks, and he was eating every 1-2 hours.

The Health Visitor actually had the nerve to call him fat, and that I was going to cause him to have diabetes and kidney failure! My DH flipped out at her! Can you imagine! She tried to tell us that he is a greedy boy and he should be eating every 4-5 hours and I should refuse him or fill him up on water if he cries in between those times! We told her where to go, and made a complaint about her.

Imagine telling a 7 week old baby he can't eat because he is a little chubby!

Anyways! Now at 10 weeks he has spread out his feedings to 3 hours and sometimes 5 at night. And is not gaining quite as much.

BUT even if he was it would be fine. Babies take what they need. Yes sometimes the nurse for comfort, but they are not gorging themselves. So just trust your lo, he knows what he needs. And keep at it, unless someone can give you a really good reason that this is harming your lo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryka View Post
    Anyways! Now at 10 weeks he has spread out his feedings to 3 hours and sometimes 5 at night. And is not gaining quite as much.
    Thats awesome, I hope my DS follows suit!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's Mommy View Post
    Thats awesome, I hope my DS follows suit!
    Yeah, it has made a huge difference in what I can do. Every now then he is a hungry wee boy, but majority of the time he goes 3 hours at least. I Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

DS was born a few days after 40 weeks. He was 6 lb. 3 oz, went down to 5 lb 11 oz., and at his 2 week check up he was 7 lbs. 7 oz! My doc didn't seem concerned. Her main thing was making sure we didnt need to supplement him at all. I just think that its alot of weight gain. I wont see the doc for another 2 months so I'm hoping he wont be too huge by then
    Another thing to consider, is that 7lbs 7 oz. is still pretty small. In fact, that weight is smaller than either of my boys at birth. My oldest son was 8lbs 8oz and my youngest son was 7 lbs 12 oz. My youngest son was actually only about the 50th % (If I remember right...) at birth, and his actual spot on the growth charts is lower than the 50th % ever since his birth.

So, what I'm wondering is, since babies really are born at all different weights...variations of many pounds even, I wonder if some smaller babies gain more initially, and then end up at the right area of the growth charts for them. I was only 5lbs15 oz at birth, and from that point on, I jumped up to be completely average all through my life. My sisters were only 4lbs 9 oz and 4lbs 10 oz at birth (twins) and they too seemed very close to average as well, once they gained a bit right after birth.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    So, what I'm wondering is, since babies really are born at all different weights...variations of many pounds even, I wonder if some smaller babies gain more initially, and then end up at the right area of the growth charts for them.
    My mom also said something along those lines. DS is basically playing catch up since he was small.