Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping question

Default pumping question

I would like to start pumping to build up some extra bottles in the freezer. I just got my milk supply under control-- I have been nursing for 5 weeks and had way too much milk to start with. I am concerned that pumping will increase my supply again.

My 5 week old nurses from one side every three hours for 15 min. what is the best way for me to pump? Just do the other side? Is there a time of day that would be best? How many times a day could I do it without worrying too much about getting too much milk?

Ok...sorry one more question. I have a lot of milk and don't want to pump all of it out...to increase supply. About how much should I pump to offer my baby? 4 oz? Can I stop before the breast is empty?

I have already been offering my baby a bottle and she takes it fine.

Default Re: pumping question

How much does she take in the bottle? I would say that's the amount you need to pump. that should not increase your supply if you're not emptying the breast to do so. I had oversupply and OALD in the beginning (still do sometimes) but when I pump, I pump only the amount that I know dd will take for each feeding. About 5-6 ounces a bottle.

Good luck.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!