Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nurse during weekend?

Default Nurse during weekend?

I went back to 2 weeks ago. I've been pumping ok during weekday (while at work). My questions is how often u nurse during weekend or should i still give bottle n pump? Ideally I wanted to just nurse and not pump over the weekends. But my babysitter (who is my mom-in-law) insisted that should still keep giving my DS the bottle during weekends as she said that my DS fusses when given the bottle on Mondays after weekend full nursing. FYI, my DS have had problem accepting the bottle since i went back to work (been consuming only 8-10 oz daily).

Default Re: Nurse during weekend?

My DD had a hard time accepting a bottle, and she started really early with one! Once we found the right one for her, things got better. She now takes a bottle fine. I usually nurse on demand during the evenings after work and on weekends. Occassionally my husband will give our DD a bottle during the weekend, but it is not at the time she would get a bottle when I am at work. Your lo may just need to adjust a little. It is up to you, but I would nurse as much as I could on weekends to build up my supply. Your lo could also be fussing because she is adjusting to not having mom around all day or from having a new schedule, but this too will get better .

ITA with pp. I would BF on demand on the weekends. How long has your LO been going to your MIL's? What bottle are you using?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Mt son hv been w my MIL for bout 2 weeks. He's taking NUK nipple. At times he's ok with it, and at time fusses when given the bottle.

The thing is I am under pressure to tell my MIL that I would like insist on BF on demand during weekends (despite me telling her). She gets my husband to tell me (which makes me even more obligated as my husband would be caught in middle). As she's doing us a favor caring for our 3mth old son. In addition, she's not into breastfeeding.

I don't want to be the slave to the pump even on weekends!!

What should I do???

You do whats best for your baby, not your MIL, not your dear husband. You also respect your need to be bonded and close with your baby. Breast feeding isn't just about nutrition, its also about meeting the psychological needs of our children. You baby wants you, that is clear. Perhaps instead of triangulating as a family, you might consider being forth right. Favor or not, you are the mother, not your MIL. In your place i might sit down with MIL and brain storm up a solution. New bottles, bottle given in a different position, sippy cup and skip the bottle altogether might be a solution. They aren't shaped like a nipple and there is less to object to. They have slow flow sippy cups. hth

I agree with pp. But, also, is it any of your MIL business. She gave a suggestion. But it is up to you and dh about what to do. I would just say thanks for the suggestion and then do what you want. You do not have to tell her you are not doing what she suggested. What one does not know . . .

As I said in my pp, there may just be an adjustment period.

Quote Originally Posted by nicng View Post
    As she's doing us a favor caring for our 3mth old son. In addition, she's not into breastfeeding.
    Really! She probably loves watching the LO!

Whose opinion WOULD she trust? What if your prediatrician backed up your desire to nurse on the weekends?

Maybe like someone suggested, you could try a different bottle/nipple or maybe your LO is just having a hard time adjusting to being without you.

Does he fuss when F gives him a bottle too? Is MIL taking this rejection personally or is it just "inconveniencing" her?? Or is she worried LO is in discomfort or not being fed enough?

Try to figure out what her concerns are and perhaps validate them to help keep the peace, then look for a mutual solution, but ultimately you're the mom!

I always nurse when possible. My LO gets enough bottles at DC. Although it has caused problems with reunions, parties, etc. with relatives because "we can't start eating without you!" and invariably, my LO always wanted to eat just before adult dinner time. So they can wait on me or go ahead, but I refuse to accept a guilt trip in being late to an event because I am feeding my most precious baby!

Wow, it is so hard being a new mom. All you want to do is what you believe is best for your baby, and then it seems like everyone has "advice". Like all the pp said, you are the mom. Nursing is something special that only you can do with your baby. Don't let anyone take that away from you! I work full time & have told DH that I will probably nurse until she is 10, just so I can have my special time with her. I am sure there are other reasons your LO is fussy with the bottle. Bottom line, you need to politely let your MIL & DH know that it is important to you, the baby & your supply that you nurse on demand when you can. But remember, your DH is new to this & is leaning on his mom for advice. Assure him that though you love & respect your MIL, every situation is different & that this issue is important to you. Your lo won't be little forever, don't let anyone guilt you out of this important time in your life. 's

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I was in the exact situation with my MIL. She tried hard to convince me that I should continue bottle-feeding my DD on the weekends so Mondays would not be as difficult. But I kept insisting that I needed to nurse on demand to keep up my supply. I even told her that my ped told me the same, which was true.
    After about a month or so, my DD stopped rejecting the bottles on Mondays and got used to her situation. Now she knows when she is back at grandma's she drinks from a bottle, but no bottles on the weekends. Your LO is probably just going through an adjustment period. I agree with the previous posters, you are the mother and you decide what is best for your baby.