Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples & fear of bad weight gain

Default sore nipples & fear of bad weight gain

dd is almost 3 months and the first couple of weeks she gained poorly and her pediatrician had us supplement. i've slowly gotten her off the formula but every now and then she still gets 1 oz. or so depending. this past week i feel like i've been nursing her more than usual during the day and at night sometimes she go for 5 or 6 hours. i guess my question is, is this normal? i can't help but worry that she's not getting enough because of that rough start we had. she had her 2 mo. shots about 3 wks. ago and weighed 10lbs 10oz but just the other night a woman in a restaurant went on and on about how skinny she is and it really got me worried. i know i shouldn't listen but it's hard not to when you get off to a rough start.
    dd is having plenty of wets(roughly 5-7 a day) and usually has 1 very large bm every other day or so. am i just being neurotic or should i be worried about her sleeping so much at night?
    also, i'm confident my latch is fine but could the nipple pain be caused by her suck getting stronger b/c of her age or just from the frequent day nursing?

Default Re: sore nipples & fear of bad weight gain

I can understand why you are worried -- with an early experience of being told to supplement, and with strangers in restuarants making uninvited comments, you can hardly avoid having doubts about your milk supply. But you know what? Strangers in restaurants know nothing about breastfeeding. Some pediatricians hardly know more than strangers in restaurants! You are the expert on your baby.

If your baby has good output and is growing well, then your milk supply is fine. Her current behavior sounds like a normal growth spurt to me. It's important that you continue to give her free access to the breast and avoid supplements; otherwise you may end up actually creating the low-milk-supply problem that you are worried about. Trust your body, and trust your baby to tell you what she needs.

The longer sleeping at night is, IMHO, a sign that your baby is contented and is maturing. It's a good thing! Enjoy it.

Now, the nipple pain -- that's always something of a red flag. Can you tell us more about it? No matter how much a baby is nursing, it's not supposed to create real nipple soreness. What kind of pain is it? When do you feel it? Any sign of redness or trauma?

--Rebecca

thanks for the encouragement! it was much needed.
    i think that if we hadn't gotten off to such a bumpy start i wouldn't get completely wrecked when strangers make comments.
    about the nipple pain, they're definetly a little pink/reddish but there aren't any cracks. the pain is more like extra sensativity like when i wear a shirt that's form fitting. i've taken to wearing bigger tops around the house and at night i sleep topless to accomidate baby and to make me more comfy if i become engorged.
    so it's basically extra sensativity that feels like a sort of tingly/itchy feeling and it's worsened when i'm wearing something that contacts my nipples.

i hope that discription helps! it's so hard to explain.

RE: nipple pain/sensitivity -- a few ideas come to mind:
    1. Thrush
    2. Teething (excess saliva can irritate nipples)
    3. Increased nursing, perhaps?
    4. Are you premenstrual right now? Sometimes before we get our period or during ovulation our nipples can become extra sensitive and irritated from nursing.

HTH!

carol,

i don't think i'm premenstrual but dd has started producing A LOT of saliva! she's not even 3 mo. yet but she already have certain times of the day where she drools excessively. like i said, it's not terrible pain and it's not in both nipples so i don't think it's thrush(also dd doesn't have any of the signs,) but maybe it's because of the extra saliva and the extra daytime nursing?

Question Re: sore nipples & fear of bad weight gain

I am feeding twins and one has a much stronger latch on than the other, i tried yesterday to not wear a bra (this was after finding the one i had was far to small) I felt sore in my nipples and started to leak. I put on a sleep bra and felt far more comfortable. Have you considered a sleep bra at night? I would not be able to sleep without one, due to friction of breasts on duvet.