Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 days old and constant nursing

Default 6 days old and constant nursing

My little guy is 6 days old. From the begining there were cluster feeds, but now he'll demand the breast for hours at a time. I have to remove him in order to end the session. Then he'll want to get back on immediately. This will go on for hours and hours--usually at night. Last night he was at the breast from 11PM until 4AM. It's a big early for a growth spurt. I've tried the soothie pacifier and it helps some, but I'd prefer not to use one and really know what's going on with him. He pees and poops A LOT---8 or more poops a day that are liquid and very yellow.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
    Kristy

Default Re: 6 days old and constant nursing

Thats how my son was for the first few weeks or longer....I am interested to hear what other mommas say

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Welcome, Kristy! Congrats on your new arrival!

Five days is a VERY common age for growth spurt.

I don't usually share my own nursing stories on the board, but you might find this reassuring. When my LO was five days old, he nursed and nursed and nursed. If I broke the suction and took him off, he would SCREAM like I was killing him. The nursing was almost constant. He would nap for a few minutes, then wake and cue to nurse again. I didn't know what to do. I even broke down and cried because I needed to potty soooo bad, but I couldn't get him to latch off long enough to let me go in peace. I wondered what was wrong with him, what was wrong with ME, and how in the world mothers DO this. Just when I thought I had reached my limit, the phone rang. It was the nurse at my O.B.'s office, calling to check on me. She asked how I was doing, how I was feeling. I told her I was fine and feeling ok. Then she asked how breastfeeding was going. I told her it was going TERRIBLE. That all of a sudden, my baby wanted to nurse all the time and wouldn't let go of me. She actually laughed at me!! I wasn't amused. She then explained that my baby was going through a growth spurt, and that it was normal and would pass very quickly. She told me that the best thing I could do for myself and my baby was just sit back and find something to occupy my mind and nurse through it. You know what? She was right! I started working on side lying nursing (way helpful) and watched lots of television. It only lasted a day or so and my ds was so much happier. All that nursing really paid off, too. He gained over two and a half pounds in his first month!

You mention that your baby has 8 or more yellow poops a day. That is a GREAT sign!! Here's some more information on how to tell your baby is getting enough: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Is he latched on well? Do you hear lots of swallowing? Are your nipples sore?

Here's some info on growth spurts and frequent nursing:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

my lo was the same way it was was to hard so i eneded up having take a bottle so i had a lil time to my self and i pumped while he ate too but it was a nice breack we still do that once in awhile i try not to do it to much tho

I hate to say it but yes it's totally normal. I remember just sitting on the couch crying because I was so frustrated. I thought he wasn't getting enough milk and my poor DH could just sit there and watch me feeling helpless. I promise it passes. Sometimes I just had to take it one day at a time. Now here we are at 4.5 months and I feel like a pro.

Totally normal. Not to scare you, but it was like that for me a lot in the early weeks, not just during growth spurts. I felt like I was just glued to that couch, nursing her for hours on end. (We did eventually figure out the side-lying position and it was a lifesaver!) My best advice for you is to just roll with it, realize that it's normal, and know that you're giving your baby the absolute best in care and nutrition. Nursing was really hard for me at first, but one day it was like I woke up and it was the easiest thing in the world. Now I am so glad I stuck with it. I think by now (eight months) I would be pretty tired of washing bottles if I had gone that route instead.

Thanks everyone for your responses and encouraging advice. Last night was much better. He slept 2 hours between each feeding. He wanted to stay at the breast but we successfully implemented the side lying position and he just dozed off and I could move him to the bassinet. I'm very lucky that he latches well and my nipples are not sore. I'll just let him tell me what he needs and roll with it. Sometimes he swalllows and sucks so much that he'll cough.
    Thanks again,
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by folkgirl View Post
    Totally normal. Not to scare you, but it was like that for me a lot in the early weeks, not just during growth spurts. I felt like I was just glued to that couch, nursing her for hours on end. (We did eventually figure out the side-lying position and it was a lifesaver!) My best advice for you is to just roll with it, realize that it's normal, and know that you're giving your baby the absolute best in care and nutrition. Nursing was really hard for me at first, but one day it was like I woke up and it was the easiest thing in the world. Now I am so glad I stuck with it. I think by now (eight months) I would be pretty tired of washing bottles if I had gone that route instead.
    ditto on the washing bottles and everything else she said!!! james was like that when he hit his growth spurts...i'm just hoping he wont be that way when his teeth come in!!!