Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and pumping for freezer stash

Default OALD and pumping for freezer stash

*Title should say OverSupply and pumping for freezer stash*

I am a new mom to a 3 week old and will be returning to work full-time when he is 12 weeks. I will probably have to stop nursing and pumping altogether at that point since I wont have time nor a place to pump and I work long hours and I wont be able to survive the engorgement.

I would like to start a freezer stash, ideally enough to give him BM for 6 months. I'm looking for some advice on how to start a stash without stimulating more. I have been block-feeding for the past week and it has really helped my oversupply but I am scared of pumping and overdoing it. I have finally gotten past the green poopy diapers, bad latching, and gassiness and I dont want to go back to all that.

Right now I am just pumping once daily, first thing in the morning. I feed DS from one breast and pump the other breast right after. I only get 2-3 ounces and at this rate it wont be enough to build a good stash. Any advice?
    Last edited by CJ's Mommy; April 29th, 2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: change title of thread

Default Re: OALD and pumping for freezer stash

Are you aware that if you want to you could just nurse once a day and still be able to maintain milk for just that, without doing anything special? You body will remember and produce enough for what you need. Just a thought, in case you wanted to be able to have a late night feeding with your baby still.

So the pumping can be tricky right now, because your body is trying to set up for longevity and build up your supply. Right now is when you and your baby would be getting into a perfect rhythm together. If you start really pumping alot you may end up with an abundance of milk that won't want to go away quickly!
    I would suggest that you take advantage of your let down. It happens in both breasts at once, so you would need to pump while you breast fed on one side. If you do it that way you won't be adding any additional cues to your breast that more milk is needed. Its all based on supply and demand, so the more you nurse/ pump, the more your body thinks you need. You can get away with pumping and nursing at the same time without confusing your body. Plus that couple of ounces you struggled to get will practically fall into your lap!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I would suggest that you take advantage of your let down. It happens in both breasts at once, so you would need to pump while you breast fed on one side. If you do it that way you won't be adding any additional cues to your breast that more milk is needed. Its all based on supply and demand, so the more you nurse/ pump, the more your body thinks you need. You can get away with pumping and nursing at the same time without confusing your body. Plus that couple of ounces you struggled to get will practically fall into your lap!
    Is that right? But doesnt that defeat the purpose of block-feeding? So if I pump and BF at the same time my body wont be stimulated to make even more milk? I nurse my baby at least 10-12 times daily so I could theoretically be pumping my other breast at the same time and not have my milk be increased? That would be great!

Well, it might increase some, but not like if you were pumping completely independent of nursing your child.