Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iron supplements and nursing

Default Re: iron supplements and nursing

As I mentioned previously, a little bit of acidphilus each day is always a good idea and even moreso when you're on antibiotics. However, I think your concern is that your baby is gassy, correct? Perhaps you could describe more for us regarding your baby's behavior. That will help us to help you

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    Perhaps you could describe more for us regarding your baby's behavior. That will help us to help you
    DD has had a difficult time expelling gas. During feedings, she will (most of the time) pull off, arch her back and crying in pain. When she does this I prop her up and burp her, if she does burp she can relatch if not, she will cont to cry at the breast and I have to try to calm her down. Recently I've noticed that I can hear something coming up when I am burping her but that doesn't always mean she will spit up (which she does at almost every feeding). After nursing we try to keep her elevated (to reduce the spit up). It is at this point that we notice her squirming, grunting and looking like she is in pain. If we rub her tummy it sometimes helps her to expell the gas but not always. I guess I'm not really sure what causes her such discomfort. I've been pretty gassy since my c-section and I know it's not comfortable for me so I can imagine how uncomf it would be for her

Do you have an oversupply and/or overactive let-down, by chance? Most breastfed babies do not need to be burped (because there's no air in your breast for them to take in) but when mom's let-down is forceful then it can cause baby to take in air. The forceful let-down in and of itself though can cause baby to pull off the breast and cry.

Have you tried nursing her in different positions? If so, did it help at all?

I'm not really sure if I do. I've tried the football hold, cross cradle, and sidebyside (this morning that finally worked). I think football hold has worked the best in the past. How can I tell if I have an oversupply and/or overactive letdown?
    (I nursed her about 5:30 this morning (PST) and right now I hear her grunting in her sleep and she scrunched up then stretched, sounded like stomach cramps~ anythoughts)

Thank you so much for responding. I am really trying to learn as much as I can about bf by reading and going on-line. You have been so helpful!

How can I tell if I have an oversupply and/or overactive letdown?
    This might help: Common Side Effects of an Overactive Let-Down

Overactive Let-Down: Consequences and Treatments

That said, it's not uncommon for small babies to appear to be having difficulties when they're having a bowel movement and her gassiness may be more disturbing to you than it is to her.

Let us know if this is helpful or not so we can continue to explore this situation with you.

the articles were really helpful, thank you i think i do have an overactive letdown. i was wondering if i offer one breast for 2 consecutive feedings, should I pump the milk out of the other breast?

i was wondering if i offer one breast for 2 consecutive feedings, should I pump the milk out of the other breast?
    Overactive let-down is often coupled with an oversupply issue. The theory behind block feeding (which is what you are talking about here) is to reduce milk supply by reducing the amount of stimulation your breasts receive. If you pump the unused side then you are defeating the purpose of block feeding

So, for a day or so that unused side may become really full -- pump some off if you need to but only pump off enough to relieve any discomfort.

HTH!

that makes sense! sorry too early and not enough sleep LOL!! I will try this and let you know in a few days. We are flying to italy 1st thing wed morning, so please send lots of good thoughts our way. I will post progress (hopefully good) over the weekend! thanks again!!!!

Good luck! Have a nice flight! I wish I were going with you -- I spent 2 years in Italy in the 90's and I still miss it terribly.

Also, I don't know where my head was earlier but there are ways to deal with the overactive let-down. You can always try using gravity to your advantage by laying on your baby and putting baby on top of you when she nurses. Also, you can try to pump or hand-express until your milk let's down and then putting baby to breast so that she doesn't get that forceful spray of milk.

The good news is that babies will usually adjust easily to the overactive let down and oversupply issues tend to correct themselves by about the 12-week mark.

Again, good luck & please let us know how it goes!