Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iron supplements and nursing

Default iron supplements and nursing

hi all. i was wondering if any of you had heard that iron supplements cause gassiness. my 2 mth old daughter is gassy and someone said that it could be my iron supplements. I already am avoiding milk, beans, brocolli (sp), cucumbers, and cauliflowerl. any thoughts.... please share thanks!

Default Re: iron supplements and nursing

been taking them since delivering in dec. and i haven't noticed with them, although brocolli and shrimp get my ds every time...lol

I take iron and have never seen it give dd gas. Now anything green and leafy, or spicy and we'bve got gas all night.

Try Gripe Water - works great for gas

I was anemic during my pregnancy, plus I sustained a 3rd degree tear with A LOT of blood loss, so I was told to stay on my iron for at least 6 weeks post partum. So far (knock on wood) I haven't noticed any gassiness because of it. Come to think of it, I haven't read anything that would indicate that it causes gas either. Perhaps it's because I was taking it through out my pregnancy and she's "used to it" (is that possible?).. LOL

We know that iron supplementation in mom does not increase the iron levels in her breast milk. Given this, I can't imagine that any sort of proteins (if present - and I don't think there are any in iron supplements) from an iron supplement would pass through your blood into your breastmilk.

You mention that you avoid milk but do you also avoid all forms of dairy, including hidden forms?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    You mention that you avoid milk but do you also avoid all forms of dairy, including hidden forms?
    What is a hidden form of dairy?

I don't eat or drink dairy. I may have a slice of cheese on a sandwich on occasion, but for the most part I don't eat dairy. In fact, I'm on a drug that causes bone density loss (heparin) and I NEED a calcium supplement. Calcium, I'm assuming, isn't what causes gassiness, right? So what is a hidden form of dairy? I'm curious to know incase I'm eating more then I think.

Thanx.

Not a LLL-source but good information nonetheless: Hidden Dairy "Cheat Sheet"

Also, keep in mind that calcium comes in many forms besides in just dairy products -- List of Non-Dairy Foods that are High in Calcium
    Last edited by LLLCarol; April 10th, 2006 at 07:51 AM.

Thank you so much for responding everyone!
    I basically have switched to soy milk and veggie slices. I am not really sure what hidden forms of dairy are.

Although I am beginning to wonder if it's more of a sensitivty than an allergy I recently read a post where someone said they received antibiotics during L & D for group b strep and that is affected the baby's digestive system causing gassiness. I too received antibiotics during L & D. The post said this person was now taking acidophollis. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm using GRIPE water (baby bliss) and Mylacon to help dd but she still gets crampy, gassy, and I think she has silent reflux but my doc tells me it's normal so I feel like the crazy mom

Thanks again everyone!

Acidophilus helps to restore the ph levels in the intestine/gut. It's always a good idea to take acidophilus but an even better idea to take it while on an antibiotic. Antibiotics upset the ph levels in the gut and the acidophilus helps to restore it.

You've probably seen it now but see my post above for hidden forms of dairy.

Thank you! I printed that. Do you think the acidophilus would help dd at this point? She's two months old?