Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moms with OALD - how long are your feeds?

Question Moms with OALD - how long are your feeds?

I just wanted to ask those whose experience OALD (I also have oversupply but that seems to be easing up a bit now that we are 6 weeks in) how long your LO feeds for. I was at the hospital last night with my DD (which is a long story - but she is fine!) and the nurse left the room as I was starting to feed her. She returned about 10 minutes later with the doctor and couldn't believe that we were done already. My DD often only takes one breast and gulps away for 6-10 minutes and then pulls off. The odd time she has marathon sessions and takes both breasts, sometimes more than once, but that is not the norm. My LC said that it was okay and that she was getting lots of milk (she is gaining like crazy). She explained that she was getting lots of milk really quickly, swallowing with each suck, and that it might take another mother with slower let-down and less milk more time to nurse. It made sense to me at the time.

Just wondering how long your LO feeds for - the nurse made me feel like we might have a problem??

Default Re: Moms with OALD - how long are your feeds?

I used to nurse him for at least 45mins-1 hour (excluding the pulling off and gagging that he does at every feed). Now at 8 weeks old he seems content nursing for like 10-15 mins if that long. He still occasionaly has a marathon feed of an hour or more,but usually stops after 10-15 mins and is now going about 3 hours between feeds. I have a horribly oald. I squirt everywhere when he pops off if I don't have a towel ready. I was told by my ped. that as long as output was good that meant input was good! Just consider yourself lucky that you might have a few minutes to yourself during the day!

At that age, I nursed for on average 12 minutes (I was timing back then). Now, he goes for 5-10 minutes (he's 6 months now...)

I nurse my 3 week old for about 10-15 minutes on only one side, not including the break he takes to catch his breath and burp It used to take alot longer (30 min) until I had an LC show me how my latch could be improved.

My DD nursed for only about 10 min one one side at a time and went for three hours between feeds....same as yours, gulping and swallowing the whole time....

My DD used to nurse for 30-45 min for the first few weeks and now that she is at 5 weeks, she barely nurses for 10 minutes and goes for about 3-4 hours between feeds so that she is sometimes nursing 7 times a day. I am going to the ped on Thursday to see if she is still gaining weight at the appropriate rate...but in the meantime, each day she has the "recommended" amount of wet diapers and stools and they are yellow not green!

Does anyone else nurse less than the average 8-12 times a day also at this age?

My LO never had 30 minute feedings. I think out longest were like 20-25 minutes when she was a newborn. Now DD is 10 mos and i'm lucky if she last 15 , most of the time it is about 10.

My daughter is now 4 months - she has never nursed for very long - 20 mins max and is often done in 10 mins (or less) and usually only takes one side. Some days she will feed 10 times others just 6 and has always been like this. Like others have posted as long as good output - 6+wet naps a day and gaining weight, then anything goes. Sometimes I have noticed when she pulls off there are 5 jets of milk going - must be like drinking off a fire hydrant - no wonder babies with OALD get full fast!

PS once I stopped timing the length of her feeds I found I was a lot less stressed about her getting enough if I just gave her plenty of time, changed her nappy if she stopped and offered again after that.
    Last edited by squirrel; May 1st, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Aiden is 10 weeks old and was feeding every 1-2 hours for 5 mins tops up until he was 8 weeks old. Then, overnight he started going 3-4 hours, but he is now feeding 6-10 mins.

I am not complaining though! Some of my other nursing friends lo nurse for up to an hour each feed.

I had a similar experience. My LO is 15 weeks now and we went a very long time where she'd only eat for about 5-10 minutes. I was constntly worried that she wasn't getting enough, but her weight gain has been great. My pediatrician said that it was ok and that we must just be really efficient.

Around 2.5 months she started nursing for 10-15 minutes most times when i nurse her.

As long as baby is happy, peeing/poopig and gaining weight I wouldn't worry about it.