Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and caffeine?

Default Alcohol and caffeine?

Can someone point me in the direction to some solid info on the safe amounts of alcohol and caffeine consumption while breast feeding? Everywhere I look I get different info.

I was told at the hospital I was allowed 1 alcoholic beverage per day, and while having a beer the other night I was told that I shouldn't have any.

What's the deal?

Default Re: Alcohol and caffeine?

Hello

I am NOT an expert, but my understanding is that alcohol and caffeine are fine in moderation. When pregnant as far as I know, the amount of alcohol/caffeine you drink is passed on straight to the fetus, whereas when breastfeeding it is passed on in much more 'diluted' way.
    I would say the odd glass of wine/beer when you feel like it, probably not on an empty stomach, and as far as I know one coffee a day.

The oppinions on alcohol vary greatly. I am of the thinking, as is my doctor, that a beer or glass of wine every once and a while is just fine. I do however stay away from the hard liquor like vodka, etc. Dr. Sears says that a tiny fraction of the caffeine gets through the breastmilk. it is usually more the acidity of the coffee that causes problems for the babys.

The Fair Trade brand Cafedirect do a very nice decaf.

http://www.cafedirect.co.uk/products/decaf.php

Good question, North_of_60! Many mothers wonder about this.

Here's some information on alcohol and breastfeeding from LLL's website.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/alcohol.html

The WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING says that the amount of caffeine in five or fewer 5-oz cups of coffee (less that 750ml) will not cause a problem for most mothers and babies. You may be getting additional caffeine from tea or colas. Caffeine is also found in some OTC medications. If you suspect that caffeine may be causing fussiness in your baby, you could try cutting back your consumption for a week or two to see if that helps. (Going "cold turkey" may give you a headache!)
    According to the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, caffeine can accumulate in a newborn's system, but this becomes less of an issue as the baby grows.
    A baby who is being overstimulated by caffeine is a wide-eyed, active, alert baby who doesn't sleep for long. He may also be usually fussy.

HTH!
    Mary

I have more caffeine than I really should these days (in fact, I'm suffering from a withdrawal headache now because I haven't had any all day), and it doesn't affect Elisabeth in the least.

When I have small drinks (I"m not a big drinker, and on the rare occasions I do, it's only one or two), it usually doesn't matter.

The one time I had too much (three glasses of wine at a restaurant, and a couple more when I got home!) she refused to nurse. I had to pump and dump for the next few feedings and let papa give her a bottle.

I've had the same question and still allways get different answers. I'd given up caffiene while pg, so I just continued on the decaf. I don't mind it, especially since these days you can get very good decaf. The wine, on the other hand, I did miss. So I have a glass every now and then, but I have it right after I've fed him, so there's a little time before the next feeding. And since we try to give him a bottle once a week, I sometimes use those nights to have a few drinks, in which case I pump and dump and baby gets frozen milk. I've had an LC tell me it's never necessary to pump and dump, but if I have morethan one drink, I feel more comfortable dumping it. This is just what I do. HTH.

It may be helpful to know that while alcohol passes freely into mother’s milk (it peaks at 30-60 minutes after consumption, 60-90 minutes when taken with food) it also passes freely out of a mother’s system and her milk. It takes about 2-3 hours for a 120 lb woman to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine. The more alcohol is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated.

Mary

I read all these answers and don't follow any of the things stated. As I sit here writing this post I'm probably on my fourth bottle of a Vex which is 7% alcohol beverage. I have drank up to almost 6 drinks in one night and ds never refuses to nurse and doesn't seem to bother him in the least. Mind you I have at least one glass of water for every drink of alcohol. So I'm assuming that's diluting the drink. Plus I'm not some small person at all.

When it comes to the caffine in a coffee/tea/cola I found that ds was alot more fussy the more I drank of it. So I stated to drink non caffine tea at least. That made a huge difference.

So when it comes down to it, I think it really depends on the dc really some can tolerate more than others. Just becareful about milk supply though, I haven't had any issues but I know many women do come across many if they drink either alcohol or caffine too much.

i can't remember where i read this, but it was: for every 1 drink, have 1 glass water and wait 1 hour to nurse. on our anniversary, we had some champagne. we waited until both dc were asleep, so i had a few hours. i have had 1/2 beer and waited 1 hour and it never affected our little man. i remember when i was pregnant, we were out and i saw a woman nursing and drinking a beer at the same time, i didn't approach her about it, now i wish i had...she may have been told something different. although, i don't think i will ever be that brazen. i will stick to the waiting 1 hour per drink and drinking water theory.