Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoopid question, but is this normal?

Question Stoopid question, but is this normal?

Hi folks, please bear with my stupid question. i'm the first one in my gang of friends to have a baby, my mum never breastfed, and i'm sure not comfortable asking my mum-in-law, so here goes:

Is it normal that my nipples are tender ALL the time? i have to shield my nipples from my bra with nursing pads, and i can't even hug the hubby without feeling sore. If it's normal, will it be like that all the way till i stop nursing? If it's not, what should i do?

Default Re: Stoopid question, but is this normal?

Yup, it's normal and it will go away, I promise. And I might as well tack on... I had permanently hard nipples for about 6 months, too. If they continue to stay really tender you might want to doublecheck your latch but in all likelihood you're just gettignused to it and they will not stay so tender.

No stupid questions, bring 'em on!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I found that it really helped to use Lanolin (I used Lansinoh brand) after nursing, and before showers. And it totally gets better. One day I just realized, "Hey, my nipples dont hurt anymore...." Oh the joys of being a mother, hehe.

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Phew... thanks for the reassurance and advice! You folks are cool!

This is what I did. I was honestly sore for about 5 weeks after the baby was born but it's different for everyone and even though it seems like an eternity then, it's a small price to pay and the pain will leave and you will forget all about it once it does. Then you can relax and enjoy nursing. I would go topless as much as possible, squeeze some colostrum(your milk) over my nipples, let that dry, then put some lanolin on. Keeping them in the air will help them heal really fast, so do that as much as you can. I also stopped squeezing my nipple to make it pointy (prepping it) and let the baby just suck it in. It seemed like that helped a lot too. Your milk is very healing so keep squeezing that over your nipples each time you nurse, and using the lanolin. It does get better, promise.

Sounds like a good question to me. My nipples were sore for about 2 weeks and then they got better for about a week. My daughter is 5 weeks old now and my nipples are back to hurting again. About two weeks ago they started getting raw. We have started using a passifier and giving her a bottle with BM when I have had to go to the Dr's. (Breast cancer follow up appontements.) I am about ready to cry. She hardly ever open's up wide for a good latch and when she does she spits me out and quick as a wink, chews her way back on. The local lactation consultant man-handles the breast and does it so fast that I can't tell which hurts more, her help or the nipple soreness. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeJack View Post
    Sounds like a good question to me. My nipples were sore for about 2 weeks and then they got better for about a week. My daughter is 5 weeks old now and my nipples are back to hurting again. About two weeks ago they started getting raw. We have started using a passifier and giving her a bottle with BM when I have had to go to the Dr's. (Breast cancer follow up appontements.) I am about ready to cry. She hardly ever open's up wide for a good latch and when she does she spits me out and quick as a wink, chews her way back on. The local lactation consultant man-handles the breast and does it so fast that I can't tell which hurts more, her help or the nipple soreness. Thanks.
    Im so sorry that is happening to you. Especially with the LC, OUCH :eek

Have you contacted your local La Leche Leader? She may be able to help you or guide you to a gentler LC. Have you been using Lanolin after each feed? MiasMom had some good tips about going topless, squeezing BM onto the nipple, etc.

The latch should not hurt and if it continues to get raw, its going to become even worse. My son has a shallow latch, and sometimes "chews back on" after I relatch him. But it does not hurt, and I have no nipple "damage".

I really encourage you to contact your local leader before things gets worse.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks for the advice. DD loves to turn her head with my nipple in her mouth and pull. SHe also latches, turns and yanks repletedly with night time feedings. I have called both LLL leaders in the area and hope for a call tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I found that it really helped to use Lanolin (I used Lansinoh brand) after nursing, and before showers. And it totally gets better. One day I just realized, "Hey, my nipples dont hurt anymore...." Oh the joys of being a mother, hehe.

HTH
    Lyn
    i used that as well cuz james was/is a hard sucker and the first 2wks no matter what i put that stuff on like crazy!! it helped alot cuz in the hossy they were cracked and kinda bleeding and asked them what i should do and they told to put that cream on them and it helped out alot

MKy ob suggested the hot/cold packs you can buy. I think its Johnsons that makes them. I used the ace band ice pack personally, the one with the cloth like cover...and lanolin, its a lifesaver!
    nak

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!