Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick baby, refusing solids and loosing weight

Default Sick baby, refusing solids and loosing weight

I am concerned about my daughter. She has been feeling sick for a while but suddenly started running temps. We took her in and a culture showed a bacterial infection so she is now on antibiotics, her first time ever.

She was in for her 1 year check up just a few days before this. She had lost 4ounces in those few days.

She is SO miserable, she is nursing like a newborn. She has never really been all that into solids, but now she will have nothing to do with them. Even all the frequent nursing is not maintaining her weight. She was also dehydrated when I took her in, only 1 wet diaper in a 14 hour period. Other diapers had bright yellow stains but no weight.

My ped suggested pedialyte by syrynge to help keep her fluids up, she is just really not all that thrilled about it. I will keep nursing her as frequently as she likes, it has been as frequent as every half hour, and hope that she does not loose anymore weight.

I don't know that I have a question here, I am just worried.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Sick baby, refusing solids and loosing weight

My son got sick at a year, too and lost 9 oz or so in a week between appointments. The dr didn't say anything about it. He was only eating a few bites of solids and nursing like a crazy boy. After he got better, he starting eating a huge amount and gained a pound and a half in the next month! Hang in there--she'll be okay (although the hydration is certainly a concern). Also, if you have given her dairy before and she's okay with it, it might want to give her a probiotic while on the antibiotics. Our dr. suggested Keifer in the health food section of the grocery store. (It's a yogurt smoothie type drink.)

My daughter does better with pedialyte if it is frozen into a popsicle. Our pediatrician has always recommended breast feeding as the best answer to any illness.

My PCP actually recommended going to the health food store and getting powdered colostrum for me once when I was sick.

Hope your little one gets better soon.

SIGH Today has been even more difficult because she has had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Now we are not sleeping, not eating, sometimes even refusing to nurse, fussing and just plain miserable! POOR BABY!!!

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto3 View Post
    SIGH Today has been even more difficult because she has had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Now we are not sleeping, not eating, sometimes even refusing to nurse, fussing and just plain miserable! POOR BABY!!!
    And poor mommy, too!

I am so sorry to hear things are so difficult right now!
    Good for you to come here for support right now. Do ask any questions, too, if you feel you want any suggestions on making it through your daughter's illness. Talking with baby's doctor is important. Has he any helpful recommendations for you both at this point?

I don't have much to add in the way of advice or anything, but just wanted to send you a hug Poor baby, poor mama...hope it's over soon!

Thank you ladies, she is asleep right now. We had to give her Benadryl to stop the reaction, she is COVERED in an awful, itchy rash. Last night was awful, we were up literally twice an hour. I really hope tonight is better.

I have not talked to her doctor yet about what we are going to do. My oldest is also allergic to amoxicillin, so we knew how to treat that. They cultured her nose and the culture grew a bacteria, so I assume that she will still have to be treated with the antibiotics, just a different one.

She is so miserable, there were several times today when she was totally inconsolable, fussing, thrashing around and would not even nurse! First time that has ever happened. The Benadryl leaves her feeling really yucky, I am sure. I by tomorrow that we at least have the allergy under control. My ped is open on weekends, love them for that, so we will get her on another antibiotic and hope for the best.

Thankfully, we have had several wet diapers today so I think we are at least succeeding in keeping her hydrated.

Thanks for the support. This is the first time she has been sick and I just feel awful for her. I sure hope we sleep tonight.

-Tina Neidlein

Baby girl due May 14th

How distressing! I hope she starts to feel better soon and you can all begin to recover. When they are very sick, sometimes they do refuse to nurse. Especially if there is some congestion invovled. There is more info about nursing strikes here, with information on approaches on how to encourage the baby back to the breast. If she is missing many of her usual nursing times, pumping can help to maintain your supply, and keep you comfortable and reduce the risk of plugged ducts. You can offer the pumped milk via cup or dropper or even I've heard of mothers offering partially-frozen milk for comfort, too. Keep us updated, OK?
    Mary

Thank you so much for the support, she is doing a LOT better. Her appetite is back, she is no longer covered in a rash AND she is not running fevers or congested anymore! She only had a two day run on that antibiotic, but I think that I am going to wait and see how she does rather than automatically put her on another one. I don't want to give her 10 days of meds unless she really needs them and all the signs of her infection seem to have cleared up.

I am glad that she is too young to really scratch. My older son has scars from the time when he had an allergic reaction to the same antibiotic.

Thanks again for the support!!!! Looking forward to a more healthy week!

-Tina Neidlein

Baby girl due May 14th

I don't have much to add, but my one year old LO lost 2-3 pounds in a week recently due to a bad cold. She wouldn't eat, couldn't b/f, and with paracetamol her temp was 41 degrees celcius. We ended up in hospital but we had alread weathered the worst of it alone at home. She's fine now, luckily most babies have fat stores to get them through stuff like this. You did everything right and now she's better. But it's still really scary when you're in the middle of it and it's your first time. You did really well, good on you