Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Close to giving up. Help!

Default Close to giving up. Help!

I'm on the verge of giving up breastfeeding my 5-week old daughter. I really want to continue to breastfeed, but its been really hard. No matter how hard i try to position and latch properly, it still hurts my nipples. Right now we are being treated for thrush, which i think has been part of the problem. But i think she also has a latching or a sucking problem. I'm not sure what the problem is. Every time she comes off the breast, my nipples are distorted and flattened. A white horizontal crease or line appears across the tip of nipple. The nipple looks flat. Does anybody know what that is caused by? I try to make sure she opens with a wide mouth, but I still feel pain and pinching. Sometimes, there is a clicking sound as well. I've been working with a lactation nurse from my hospital since she was born, so I've had my position and latched checked. But nothing seems to be improving. I'm wondering if there is some sort of sucking problem. Will she grow out of it?

Can anyone help? I really don't want to give up breastfeeding. I just introduced a bottle for the first time today because I needed to give my breasts a break. Please I'm desperate to do whatever I can to continue breastfeeding, but I can't go on like this!

thanks

Default Re: Close to giving up. Help!

Hang in there. I had alot of the same problems with my son. It takes your LO time to learn to Breast Feed just as it does for mom. The thrush makes it worse your right, but as the thrush gets better so will the pain. We also had thrush and I felt just like you, but it got alot better when the thrush was gone. It took me longer with my last son (I have 3 children) for the nipple pain and soreness to stop (about 8 weeks). If your Lo has a lot of suction that may be why it hurts and your nipples will ajust to that. As far as the pain try using warm compresses and soaking your breast in warm water between feedings. Soaking in a hot bath really helped me. As far as the clicking I read somewhere that if you hear clicking your baby is not getting the nipple and areola far enough in their mouth. Keep working with the lacation nurse. Hang in there you can do it

Hang in there mama. The first 6 weeks are usually the toughest. I had the same issues as you. The clicking sound is probably her sucking her tongue I think. I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will be so happy you stuck with it. There are some video's out there that REALLY helped me. Dr. Jack Newman has a web-site that shows you how to latch. I remember the first time DS latched without it hurting I actually cried. I used to curl my toes under my feet and just rock kinda hard in the recliner EVERY time he latched on until I saw these videos. Plus it was right around the 6 week mark. Keep working with the LC and see if you can pull those videos up. They were SO helpful to me. I really hope things work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

You have done such a great job with your little one. We had the same problem with the flattend sore cracked nipples. I used lansinoh (?spelling) ointment after each time we nursed. You can get it at babies r us, wallmart & other stores. The soreness/flatness did go away after a few weeks.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that my little one's mouth was too small at first. After the first real growth spurt, it got much,much better and now at almost 4 months is not a problem.

After we got to the point that the latching was our only problem, I started to detach her if it was bothering me and start over. I also made sure that her mouth was really wide open before she attached.

I know it hurts like heck. Good for you for sticking with it so far!

Hope this helps!

You are brave to keep it up - I had the same issues at 3 weeks and was only going to try and make it to the 4th week. Now my baby is almost 5 weeks old and we are on the path to continuing b/feeding, and hopefully you will too! The ridging of your nipple to that extent, in my opinion, does mean that it is not a good latch, and it can be very, very painful. I watched the Dr. Jack Newman video (it's on his website, for free) and that helped some. My lc also mentioned (1) to make sure your nipple goes to the roof of your baby's mouth and (2) to check the flanging (puckering out) of the lower lip. My baby tends to close her mouth very quickly and what initally looks like a good latch can go bad before you know it. So when this happens, I let her latch on and then have someone help press back the breast where her chin and lower lip are, and then use a finger to pull down your baby's chin to improve the latch and the flanging of the lower lip. It made a world of difference for me. After a few times, your baby learns how to latch better and sometime you can even do it yourself. Hang in there!

A latch issue is probably the most likely cause, but tongue-tie is another possibility. DS was tongue tied and we a very similar situation to what you are describing. I would have a LC check her out for that. (It can easily be fixed if that's the problem.)

Keep with it!!! You are doing great and can work through this. We had the same problem. After working with a wonderful lc for we figured out it was both thrush and my dd cutting off the circulation to my nipples when nursing (by clamping down). She also made clicking sounds everytime she nursed. The LC also mentioned reynards syndrome (?sp) which runs in my family. When DS or DD nursed, the ends of my nipples would turn white and hurt really bad. After the thrush cleared up, I used lansinoh on my nipples after nursing which also helped. As some of the other posts mentioned, they grew out of it. Now it only happens when they have colds and clamp down. Remember that thrush can be painfull for lo when nursing. This causes problems with the latch. Good Luck and keep up the good work.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. I saw a local LLL leader over a week ago to check out my latch. She was great and really helpful. While we are still treating the thrush and she still seems to be compressing my nipple somehow, breastfeeding is not nearly as painful since we saw the local leader. While not all is perfect yet, at 6 weeks, + we're still breastfeeding. I continue to be hopeful that things will only get better as she gets older.

thanks again for the support.
    Jung Hee and Naiya

Quote Originally Posted by junghee View Post
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. I saw a local LLL leader over a week ago to check out my latch. She was great and really helpful. While we are still treating the thrush and she still seems to be compressing my nipple somehow, breastfeeding is not nearly as painful since we saw the local leader. While not all is perfect yet, at 6 weeks, + we're still breastfeeding. I continue to be hopeful that things will only get better as she gets older.

thanks again for the support.
    Jung Hee and Naiya
    I'm glad to hear things are improving. Things will get even better with time and as your LO gets older and more efficient. At 5 months my son is now realizing, the better his latch, the more the milk. And so he's all about opening wide. It will get better, it sure has for us!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)