Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prunes? (To make baby poop)

Default Prunes? (To make baby poop)

Hi all,
    My LO has been on solids for her dinner feeding for almost 4 weeks now. She eats 2 tbs of rice cereal or oatmeal and 2 oz of a veggie (carrots, sweet potato or peas) or fruit (apple or bananna) - for a total of about 4 oz of squishy-solids each night. She does not show signs of wanting them in the day yet. Now to my problem...She has always pooped 6 or so times a day and dropped to 2 times a day when we started solids. She has now gone 4 days with no poop! I have heard some babies can go as long as 8 days when nursing but I thought this was when on only breastmilk (no solids). Is this correct?
    How can I get her to poop? Can she eat prunes or something like that?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Prunes? (To make baby poop)

Does she seem uncomfortable? If so, you can always offer some prunes to help things along in the short term. Long term would be to try and figure out which foods are clogging her up and try and avoid them or go easy on them.

I've been told by a nurse that prune juice can be a good solution for constipation. Haven't been able to try though since my baby doesn't drink anything other than BM from the breast.

My lo has never been very regular. We tried a little prune juice diluted with water, and it sure worked - too well in my opinion . Now we just offer a little once or twice a week.

You could also give pears. They have more fiber and taste way better.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I had DH look at the store and he did not see baby prune juice. Can I use adult prune juice? How much 1/2 tsp? or 1/2 oz?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Straight pear juice is great for constipation too.

Oooo thanks. I have some great pears here in the house.

As for pain or discomfort...maybe a little. Since we started solids she would sleep from midnight - 4am (yea!!). Now she is back to waking and squirming every 2 hrs and wants to sleep facedown. Not just on her belly but with her face burried into something - which means I sit up all night and stare all night to make sure she can breath!

Ha!!! I just fed my LO dinner. She had 2 tbs of oatmeal cereal and 2 tbs of pears. On the second bite of the pears she pooped! I know the pears do not work that quickly but it was funny anways! I changed her and fed her the rest of dinner and by the time we finished up she had pooped again!

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

prune juice/apple juice seemed to help my LO's with poop problems