Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iron for a preemie?

Question Iron for a preemie?

Well, my doctor is recommending iron for my son as he came 6 weeks early....he is now 6 weeks old and growing well exclusively breastfed after week one.
    So many people say the iron drops are a nuisance, and yet the standard recomendation for Preemies is indeed to give iron at 1-2 months: anyone know how best to do this and minimize sypmtoms? are any brands better than others? Any time of day better? Split it up or all at once? Thanks!

Default Re: Iron for a preemie?

My DD was born at just shy of 34 weeks. She's now 14 mos and is still nursing (don't even get me started...I've been trying to wean since she turned one). Anyway, I gave her a vitamin supplement with iron for the first 12 mos and a little beyond (when I would think about it). I got mixed advice about it....NICU and Ped told me she needed it, many LLL friends and other moms who nursed their kids said she didn't. I figured, it wasn't going to hurt her...so I just did it. Anyway, I bought the Enfamil with Iron drops and just added it to about 1 oz of warmed EBM in a bottle before bed each night. It actually turned into a part of the bed time routine. She seemed to actually like it. We never had any side effects (such as constipation) I believe because she was exclusively breastfed and breastfed babies just don't get constipated. One more reason to continue nursing if you are going to give the extra iron. Once she turned one, I started adding it to OJ (only about an oz) because she was off the bottle, I wasn't pumping anymore and the citrus seemed to cover up the taste. Hope this helps.

Both of my children were born prematurely and neither have taken vitamins. My ped has always followed the idea of basing our actions on the individual baby. At each blood test the kids iron levels were great so we did not use vitamins. If the baby had shown a deficiency I would have happily found a safe supplement. My DD recently had her yearly bloodwork and the ped asked me if she had started vitamins becuase her numbers were so good. That said too much of certain vitamins and minerals can be detrimental so I personally would not supplement wo a reason

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

may i ask; how preemie were your babies and what weights
    mine is 34 weeks 2200gms
    and i would rather not supplement but the post above makes me less nervous

My DD was 28 wks and DS 35wks.

The first year with DD we did a blood test every four months.

I was told to give my 25 wker iron supplements after the nicu but I decided not to. I had her iron tested and she's always been fine. I was even told that I had to give her cereal for the iron at 6 mths and I also refused to do that and still her iron was fine while just on breastmilk for a whole year. (well with exception of early on while in the nicu)

My DS was born at 32 weeks and the ped had him on .3mL of iron supp. per day and 1 mL of a Vit A,D and C supp per day. When I introduced solids he was way constipated and I took him off the iron, as he is breastfed. I figured the iron in the food and milk was enuf for him