Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thumb sucking-is it hunger?shud i pump?

Default Thumb sucking-is it hunger?shud i pump?

hi
    our son recently started thumb sucking- 4 months old.his weight gain showed 12-12. (with the full dress on and diaper) last time was 11-12 (pounds-ounces) about 2-3 weeks ago.

(1)seems decent weight gain is it...(so an i asuume his thumb suking is not due to hunger (as he seems fed enough due to his weight gain-curently he feed sone breast at a time and doensts eem interested in second breats though i offer it once a while
    (2)shud i pump to increase my supply?he still feeds off of one breast a t a time though i try now and then to offer second breast ,he isnnt interested.
    thanks

Default Re: Thumb sucking-is it hunger?shud i pump?

lots of kids thumb suck. sounds like he is growing fine.
    count wet diapars if you are worried.
    He should have 5-6 realy wet diapars in 24 hours. trust your baby he will tell you when he wants to nurse.

my son just turned 4 months also, he doesn't get his thumb...he seems to get his whole fist, and sometimes only a finger. i watch his cues, if he seems to fuss, even though he is sucking, i know he is hungry. and i usually offer the breast anyway the second he starts chewing/sucking. he will take a few sips and stop if it is not hunger, sometimes i think he just is thirsty,too. i take sips of water throughout the day, i don't sit down everytime i want to "wet my whistle" and drink a whole big cup of water. ..baby will definetly let you know. offer breast, maybe he just wants a sip. mine will then go back to happily chewing/sucking after that, but sometimes we are parked for 1/2 hour ...good luck

thanks amy!
    i like the positivity in the tone and the humor.
    also u wrote parked.means on a car trip.any ideas?coz as i am exclusively breast feeding our son and shy of feeding in public i am not able to goon any road trips..
    thanks

dd started sucking her thumb at about 2 1/2 months. A lot of babies self soothe or calm by sucking - pacifiers or thumbs. I offered dd a binky and it was spit out for the thumb

for nip, try using a sling...very discreet and easy to use, also lets mommies be "hands free". i use mine all the time. helps baby to sleep also.