Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using Frozen Pumped Milk

Default Using Frozen Pumped Milk

My LO starts daycare on Monday. I only have enough milk that I've pumped from the last 2 days in the fridge for 2 bottles. She'll need probably 4 for while I'm at work. What's the best way to get the frozen milk ready to send along? Should I wait until that morning to thaw it and get the right amount into bottles? Can I do it the night before? Also what's the best way to thaw? I know not to ever warm the milk in the microwave, but if I would warm a bowl of water in the microwave and swirl it around, can I thaw the milk that way?

TIA!

Default Re: Using Frozen Pumped Milk

I make up my LO's bottles the night before so I don't have to take the time. I heat up the bag until it is unfrozen enough to put into the bottle and then put it in the refrig. to let it fully thaw out. By the morning it is just a regular bottle.

How do you usually thaw it? Heat it how?

My mom justs sits the frozen bottle on the counter until it thaws out. It seems like EBM thaws pretty quickly. If she needs it faster than that she just puts some hot water in a bowl and sets the bottle in there.

I'm always reluctant to have someone thaw out the EBM until the last possible minute since once it's thawed you've only got about 24 hours to use it. Can the daycare keep it in the freezer for you and only thaw as they need, or do you have to send the bottles totally ready for use?

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would think if you thawed it right before you went to bed and put it in the refridgerator they should be fine. We found the easiest way to thaw it was to put the bag in some hot water and it thawed in no time.

I would just put the bags in the fridge before you go to bed to thaw them. In the morning just transfer the milk to bottles.

Regarding kellyd's response... I thought you weren't supposed to thaw BM at room temp?

Per Kellymom.com:
    Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.

For quicker thawing, hold container under running water - start cool and gradually increase temperature.