Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detox while breastfeeding?

Default Detox while breastfeeding?

I am still exclusively breastfeeding my almost DD (she was born 11/8/06) and I am interested in doing a whole body detox. I feel like crap and have incredible anxiety. I thought this might help but I have heard that it isn't good to do a detox while breastfeeding. Do any of the leaders (or informed moms) know about the safety of this?....My doctor is like "Huh, why would you want to detox?" and he has no idea. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks!

Default Re: Detox while breastfeeding?

I think it would be a little risky. Some articles say that even losing weight too fast can release stored toxins in fat cells into the breast milk. I would aslo think that detox would release the toxins into your milk and thus give them to your lo. The toxins have to be excreted somehow. I would wait until after I stopped bf to try it. Have you thought about trying an exercise program? That often helps you to feel better and lose some anxiety too.

I just did a little research on this topic of detox and bfing. Every source I looked at agreed with what I said before, detox products will release the toxins into your breast milk. Definately hold off for the sake of your lo.
    Last edited by @llli*preggoplus3; April 27th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.

Yikes!! Thanks!! I would not want that. I have tried exercising, it doesn't do much. I guess I'll just hold off until she is all finished though. Thanks for your help. :-)

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Maybe those detoxing footpads would be a viable option. I've used them before, and they actually do seem to work.
    http://www.detox-foot-pad.com/
    There are obviously different brands out there, so shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiely View Post
    I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Maybe those detoxing footpads would be a viable option. I've used them before, and they actually do seem to work.
    http://www.detox-foot-pad.com/
    There are obviously different brands out there, so shop around.
    I actually saw this on some kind of "buyer beware" type of show and supposeldy the foot pads don't work. Just thought I'd share...
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

You should never detox or do any cleanses while nursing. I've also been thinking the same thing, but am obviously waiting until I'm done nursing to go through with a cleanse. However, I did find one that looks good. Once you're ready, the Whole Body Cleanse by Enzymatic Therapy looks like a good one that is pretty gentle on the system. I might give it a try once I'm done nursing. In the meantime you might just make sure you're taking a good multi. I also find that getting into an exercise routine gives me more energy.

wow, I wanted to do a detox....go info ladies... so I guess it doesn't matter if it's natural or not....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hey, Mamma.

Sounds like you're looking for a little time to "connect" with yourself... Stress can make us all feel like we're not ourselves. What kinds of things would you take/do to detox? I would imagine something like this may be a little stressful to your body and maybe "add" to your problems.

I agree that exercise, vitamins and rest can help many times. What about the number of times your toddler's nursing? Would it help if you reduced the number of times this happens? Do you like to read? Reading while nursing seems to be helpful to many, too. Sometimes just talking about stuff can be helpful.

A great book that may be helpful is "The Hidden Feelings of Motherhood: Coping with Stress, Depression, and Burnout." by Kathleen A. Kendall-Tackett, PhD...

Keep us up to date!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I did a sort of detox while nursing. It wasn't where I took anything but I stopped putting processed food into my body- white sugar, white flour. I stuck to food at it's most natural state. I cut out caffeine and other things that would be in that type of category. I increased my water intake and tried new veggies. I cut back on red meat and stuck to all natural meats (even organic if possible). It was hard at first but I really did feel better after it. I did lose some weight but it was the overall feeling that was the real reward... just an idea of something to try that would not be harmful to your nusring baby!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

now I did do the daniels fast while I was preg and while I was nursing. I didn't even think about that as a detox though.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)