Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't know what to do

Question Don't know what to do

I don't know what to do now. My LO is 4 weeks old and I have been pumping all of his milk since week 2. I have been trying to get him back on the breat but he just refuse but I haven't given up yet but that is not my issue. Before he was born I brought a First years pump (stupid) and it broke so I went out and brough a PIS but now I'm hearing bad things about that one to. My milk supply is very low now and I can't offerd to go buy another pump or renting one either. If I have to tell my husband I need more money to get another pump he is going to loose his mind. When my milk 1st came in I was pumping out anywhere between 10-16 oz every 3-4 hours but my milk supply went down to 3-4 oz overnight now I'm almost getting 3-4 oz every 1-2 hours. I just don't no what to do to get more milk. I refouse to give him anything but breast milk I already feel guilty for not BFing him and getting another pump in not a option either. I don't know what to do and I'm almost in tears now.

Default Re: Don't know what to do

I'm far from an expert (my baby boy was also born on the 23rd!), but it sounds like you're exactly where I was about a week ago! Is your son consuming more than you're currently producing? 3-4 oz every few hours sounds great to me, although I know its scary when your production suddenly drops like that! I think thats normal though as your body settles into normal milk production.
    Is PIS the Medela Pump in Style? That's what I have and it works great. I haven't heard anything bad about it, so I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of people recommended it to me, from what I understand its one of the best.
    Don't lose hope about breastfeeding! I exclusively pumped for 4 weeks, and had given up trying to get him on the breast. Then one night I was warming a bottle and he started mouthing at my shirt, so I figured we'd give it another shot, and after a few days of trying we are doing okay! So you never know when he'll figure it out
    Thats great that you're working so hard at this, you're doing a great job and don't give up!!

My DD is 7 weeks old and I'm lucky to get 3-4 oz when I pump. You should not get discouraged. The more demand, the more the supply will increase. Be careful not to pump too much that you get engorged from getting so full. Is he even taking the full 3-4oz that you're pumping? My LO is just barely taking that now at 7 weeks. If he is, then you shouldn't need to worry, because all you need to pump is what he's eating. Stick with it... its difficult but worth it!

I've heard that the PIS is pretty good. Try going to La Leche League Meeting so they can help you get the baby to go directly to the breast. My first baby, which is now 8yrs, refused the breast until she was 2 mo old. I would pump and feed in a bottle. LLL meetings helped by teaching me different things to get her on the breast. The baby can drain the breast more efficiently than a pump. Don't give up just give baby time to learn to feed directly from the breast. You sound just like me 8 years ago because I was stubborn that I wanted my baby to drink breast milk instead of formula. If I can help you in anyway, let me know. Hang in there.

Proud Mom

Yes it is a Medela. Maybe I'm worring myself crazy over what I read on a website post where some women posted thier comments and the fact that I spent about 300 dollars on breast pumps I wished that I did research before hand.

natliesmom

He is taking the full bottles but at times he just want about 1-2 oz of it. Maybe he drinks so much because he started off at 11 lbs and 10 oz

Thank you so much for support will update later and if yall have anymore ideas please let me know thanks

Yes I suppose that could make the difference because my LO is now only just over 10 pounds... I'm sure that extra pound or so makes a difference in eating!