Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sns

Default sns

Hi all,
    hopefully this is not too long....my dd has reflux and many food allergies, and is ftt. she has a ng tube which we trying to use at night. I am trying very hard to nurse her again. I recently start using a hospital grade breastpump, and purchased a SNS. the only problem is my dd refuses to nurse. she screams and turns purple every time I try. does anybody have any advice for me.
    shealso has to use the nipple sheild because of latching issues and a small chin/mouth. she is not premature but was classified as ftt in womb so she has lots of the same issues a premature baby would have.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you.

Default Re: sns

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help.
    Maybe this link will help..
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    and this link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html

There is always hope that at some point, baby will grow a little bit and learn how to nurse.
    How often are you pumping?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

I realize it will be harder too do with a sns, but what is suggested to bfing moms that are trying to restart breast feeding is that they take a nice relaxing warm bath with baby. Make sure they're not starving, give a bottle first if you need to. the idea is to relax the baby and have some skin to skin contact. In fact the more of that you have the better your odds are that things will progress smoothly. Babys are hard wired to have alot of naked time with mom nursing, so they enjoy the contact.
    -Back to the bath. A bath with mommy can be a wonderful thing, she may start rooting around on your breast, and its the perfect time to pop a nipple in. Even if it doesn't work the first time, remain relaxed and calm and maybe it will happen the next time. Do you have a sling? Keep that bb right next to you as much as possible. All these things promote breast feeding. if I think of something else I'll come back. hang in there!

I am pumping every 2-3hrs during the day and 4-5hrs during the night.

You're doing great. I can imagine how stressful and exhausting this must be for you. Consider wearing your baby in a wrap. Strip the baby down to a diaper and take your shirt off. Keep relaxed as possible, and have the SNS and shield ready so that you can respond as soon as you see any hints of feeding behavior. You can do it!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah