Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drinking and eating while BF?

Default drinking and eating while BF?

HI !! Have a question I just returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic. According to their customs women shouldn't eat or drink while baby is actively sucking on the breast. Is this so? I have always drank water while BF to ensure good hydration. I never heard of this till I got over there.
    Eliz

Default Re: drinking and eating while BF?

I would have starved in the beging with my dd if I never ate or drank when she was nursing.
    there are all kinds of cultural ideas around about breastfeeding.

Sounds like an old wives tale. I always ate and drank while nursing.

In the beginning I would sometimes sit at the dinner table and eat while nursing my lo. Now I can't do that because he gets too distracted by what I'm doing. He seems fascinated to watch us adults eating. I have a feeling we will have no problem introducing him to solids...

It would have been interesting to find out why women in the D.R. have this custom...

I used to do it all the time too, it was the only way I actually got to eat!! I've heard not to drink hot liquids while BF, but that's just common sense
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

YEAH!! old wives tales...that's what I thought. It was weird though like EVERYONE who saw me was like OMG what are you doing. They claim the baby is getting what I am eating at the same time and that it can cause the baby to get diarrhea or something. I don't know... noone was able to really explain WHY which is why I thought it may be untrue.
    Anyway I still feel better now. THanks... I mean I still drank my water and ate I just felt like hmmm I gotta check my mommy resources at LLL.com.
    Eliz