Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nipple shields please help

Default Re: nipple shields please help

Hi! I posted a thread on this same subject about 8 weeks ago. I just wanted to tell you to hang in there and it DOES get better. We started with the shield at 3 days because she wouldn't latch without it. I went to LLL meetings, met with various LCs and watched every video available online but nothing could get this child to latch without the shield. I tried every feeding with no luck. Well last Tuesday lo and behold, she DID it without the shield. And we haven't looked back since!!! She was 9 1/2 weeks before she could latch without it. It is an amazing feeling to overcome this! You can too, hang in there and good luck!

Default Re: nipple shields please help

Just wanted to chime in with the others, but it will get easier and keep doing whatever you have to do. I used a shield as well...I have seriously flat nipples, and I don't mean "kind of flat", I mean there was absolutely nothing for her to latch onto. I was even told by a midwife that I would have a very hard time breastfeeding. My LO was born almost 4 months ago and we finally ditched the shield 2 weeks ago. Just something about the combo of my nipples and her mouth...it just took that long for her to really latch on. Hang in there!
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07