Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: let down reflex then nothing??

Default let down reflex then nothing??

Hello, I am new to this site. Wondered if someone could advise me please...

I am not having a lot of luck with my feeding lately, I had a huge lump on my left breast a few days ago which was severly painful, after massage and hot baths and hot water bottle it has finally calmed down but since then my baby only seems to be getting milk from the let down reflex but after that it stops and there is nothing..
    She is getting so frustrated, this is happening with both breasts. she gets the sudden surge of milk for about a minute or two and then it just stops.. does anyone know what I can do to help this? Please. Sharon.
    Sorry should have said baby is 12 weeks old, and my 5th, never had any problems like this before and I have breastfed all of them

Default Re: let down reflex then nothing??

Well it looks like I am going to have to give up breastfeeding. I haven't got a clue what to do and it isn't any better. I can't keep starving my baby like this.

Sharon, you must be so worried! You've nursed your other babies and this hasn't happened to you before.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation? How has your baby been gaining? When did you first become concerned?

And most important, is there someone local you could contact for direct help? Here is the link for finding a local Leader. Perhaps you could contact a nearby Leader or a board-certified lactation consultant?

Worldwide links to LLL Groups/Leaders http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebIndex.html

US Groups/Leaders
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Please keep us posted, OK?

Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; April 8th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Hello Mary,
    Thank you for your reply.

She had been gaining weight fine up until about 4 weeks ago and now it is only a couple of ounces a week, health visitors don't seem worried (but they never do!).

She is just getting so frustrated. I love breast feeding so much and I really don't want to give up but she is just screaming and crying at the breast as nothing is coming out. I really am at my wits end and have no idea what to do..

It only seems to be the last week that I have noticed this problem, I have been a bit stressed so I don't know wether that could have contributed but with 5 children it's hard not to be!

I have tried breast compresion and expressing to build up my supply but nothing seems to work, it's like I said a minute of let down reflex then nothing. I have bought a tin of formula today and it is sat in the kitchen, I keep going out there and looking at it but I do not want to take that step.

It sounds stupid but I feel so down about this when I found this site last night I was so pleased that someone may be able to advise me.

Could it be an age thing, I am 37.

I will go on the link that you left to see if i can find some local help.
    Thanks again for replying.

Sharon and baby Kasadee-12 weeks.

Hi Sharon,

I’m glad you found this site. I hope we can help. And I hope you can find someone local, too. If you are concerned don’t be afraid to “call in the troops” and get the help you need!

Average weight gain for the first 3 to 4 months is about 6 ounces / week, though it is acceptable for some babies to gain 4 to 5 ounces / week. Then the average weight gain for a baby 4 to 6 months old is about 4 to 5 ounces / week.

Do you mind if I ask you some more questions?

What is Kasadee’s output like? How many wet and poopy diapers do you get in 24 hours? How does she seem in-between feedings?

How is her latch? Have you had any nipple soreness?

Have you had any recent illnesses or taken any medications lately?

Mothers can nurse through all sorts of stressful situations, but sometimes stress or tension can delay or inhibit a mother’s let-down. The baby might get what milk is in the reservoirs near the nipple, but then most of the milk within the breast is not getting released.

I haven’t read anything to suggest that maternal age could affect success of nursing, especially only being in your 30’s.

If you get some local help, they may ask the same questions (or not). Feel free to focus your efforts locally. You've got a lot on your plate with 4 other children and worries about Kasadee. But please check back in with us if you can.

Mary

Hello again Mary.

Well the boob is a lot better, no where near as painful.
    Still seem to having trouble with the supply though.

Same thing, let down then nothing.. I have tried letting her suckle for agesbut it doesn't seemt obe getting any better.

She only poo's once in about 3-4 days (and then she lets rip!!).
    her wee seems fine.
    Again she only put on 2 ounces this week and the health visitors are going to keep an eye on it.

I really don't want to carry on trying to feed her if she is not doing well but I dont want to give up either. She's being weighed again tommorow so I will see what happens there.

I think this may be it for the breastfeeding as like I said I don't want to risk her being ill because of my stubborness to carry on.

It all hangs on her weight gain tommorow.. Wish us luck..

Hi Sharon,
    I'm glad you aren't having the same pain issues as before.
    Have you been able to contact anyone locally to take a look at your latch and positioning in person, such as an LLL Leader or IBCLC?

Does this sound like your daughter's output?
    About 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day?

Most young babies will have at least two to five bowel movements every 24 hours for the first several months, although some babies will switch to less frequent but large bowel movements at about 6 weeks.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Do let us know how it goes at the weight check tomorrow.

Mary

have you been to your doctor to check you havent got mastitus (sp?) ?

fingers crossed for you it all works out ok

Hi Sharon I'm wondering how you know that there is no more milk coming out after your initial let down? You mention that your baby's wet diaper output is good and that she is pooping, albeit infrequently (gotta love those!). You also mentioned that she's a bit of a slow gainer (some babies just are). When baby has been weighed has it been on the exact same scale at the exact same time of day under the same circumstances? If not then those weight checks cannot be considered accurate.

Have you tried weighing baby before nursing, nursing and then weighing her immediately thereafter? That can often give you a good idea of how much breastmilk baby is taking in.

I'm wondering if your baby is pulling off and crying because she wants that fast flow of milk and is frustrated that it's not there anymore? Or could it be that after those few minutes she's had enough and really doesn't want to nurse anymore? When babies want to nurse non-stop, this isn't an indication that mom's supply is low or lacking -- some babies just have that need to be at the breast almost constantly.

Also, has baby been getting bottles at all? If so, baby could've figured out that there's instant gratification with a bottle (they have to work pretty hard for it at the breast).

I hope you'll be back to give us an update
    Last edited by LLLCarol; April 13th, 2006 at 03:13 PM.