Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storing breast milk

Default Storing breast milk

Can you freeze breast milk which has been in the fridge for 24 hours?
    I am not keen on expressing milk but am collecting between 80 and 100ml per day off the cups which I put on one side when feeding from the other but at 20ml per 4 hours I am just adding to a bottle in the fridge until I reach a reasonable amount. I have read that you can freeze and add to it but I'm not too sure that it is safe to do that because surely adding warm milk to frozen milk would de-frost the frozen and then it would be re-frozen?? Can anyone help me out with this question?

Default Re: Storing breast milk

I believe you can have milk in the fridge for up to a week and you can freeze any time before that. When you add pumped milk to the cold milk in the fridge make sure it cools first. Try not to add warm milk to cool milk

Here's a link to LLL guidelines on milk stoaage:
    http://lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

i have visted that site many times and i even have all the info physically here that my leader sent me but it doesn't say anythign about this issue...i too have been trying to figure it all out. the longest i usually leave it in the fridge for before freezing is 24 hours..but that is my preference.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

You can keep milk in fridge up to 8 days before freezing. When you thaw you can add to it (esp. since they say to freeze in smaller quantities so you don't lose any) but I have read before that you should try to avoid adding warm milk to cool (although I know I've done it!).

Quote Originally Posted by cc's mom
    You can keep milk in fridge up to 8 days before freezing.
    interesting. i had thawed milk that after i started feeding it to my son, it smelled very sour. i thought maybe it was a bottle i had left in the fridge for the 7-8 days and then froze. i thought maybe something happens to it if you wait that long, but i guess not! thanks. now i still don't know what happened....
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008