Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: from bottlefeeding pumped breast milk to breast feeding?

Default from bottlefeeding pumped breast milk to breast feeding?

My Dorothy will be 2 months old on Monday. She was in ICU for her first couple of day and that combined with the fact I was going to have to go back to work when she was 2 weeks old, I pumped my breast milk and bottle fed it to her. Thru a fortunate turn of events I am able to be a stay ay home mommie. I want to strictly breast feed her and only use a bottle to supplement her if needed. She nurses the breast well. My question is....I know when I pump milk I get about 4-5oz total from both breasts. Since I can't tell how much she is eating directly from the breast, if she is in fact eating less than I am used to pumping, will my milk supply diminish? I know breast feeding is best and that is what I want to do, but I want to be sure to supply her enough. Should I still pump my breasts after she feeds to get any extra (even though that is a huge pain in the rump-if I need to she is worth it). Also, how often should she feed, what foods are good for making quality nutritious milk and what can I do/eat to increase and maintain a good healthy milk supply. Thank you for any help. I don't have any family-except my husband and my friends are still displaced from the hurricane (I live in New Orleans) so I really could use your insight as a resource.

Default Re: from bottlefeeding pumped breast milk to breast feeding?

Welcome to the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by dorothy evangelines mom
    I want to strictly breast feed her and only use a bottle to supplement her if needed. She nurses the breast well.
    That's great!

My question is....I know when I pump milk I get about 4-5oz total from both breasts. Since I can't tell how much she is eating directly from the breast, if she is in fact eating less than I am used to pumping, will my milk supply diminish?
    How frequently is she nursing? Is she only nursing now, or is she getting bottles in additon? If she is being supplemented, how much per day? How many wet and poopy diapers per 24 hours?

Should I still pump my breasts after she feeds to get any extra (even though that is a huge pain in the rump-if I need to she is worth it).
    You don't HAVE to, unless you're uncomfortably full. If you've been only double pumping for a while, and if your baby only eats on one side per feeding, you might find it more comfortable to pump the other breast after feeding your dd until your breasts adjust to the change.

Also, how often should she feed, what foods are good for making quality nutritious milk and what can I do/eat to increase and maintain a good healthy milk supply. Thank you for any help. I don't have any family-except my husband and my friends are still displaced from the hurricane (I live in New Orleans) so I really could use your insight as a resource.
    She should feed as often as she demands. At this age, an average might be every 1.5-3 hours. She may at times go as long as 4-5, and as frequently as every hour. It's all very normal! If you're concerned about how much she is eating, this is a good web page:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Eat a normal, well-balanced diet. You don't have to eat any specific foods to make nutritious milk. Studies have shown that even undernourished mothers have nutritious milk! If you'd like more information about diet/nutrition and breastfeeding, please do not hesitate to let me know! I'd be happy to post some resources for you.

I'm glad you found this web site for support. I understand that breastfeeding support is spotty in NOLA right now due to the hurricane. However, you might find support in other nearby provinces. If you need help finding someone local, do let me know! Here is the webpage for your area:
    http://www.lllalmsla.org

Default Re: from bottlefeeding pumped breast milk to breast feeding?

Thank you so much for your reply and information. Having someone who knows this to talk to is such a relief.
    She nurses anywhere fron as often as 1.5 hrs to as long as 4 hours at nite time. I have not given her a bottle of breast milk for one day now and she seems fine. Since I haven't pumped in a day I thought i'd see what was up and late today I pumped and only got about 2oz, so I guess she is feeding well. She has approx 8 wet diapers a day but only a poop every couple-few days. My ped said up to a week was normal w/only breast milk because so little is not digested. I just worry that if she isn't getting as much milk out of my breasts that I can pump that they will stop making as much. I have read here that it is all about nipple stimulation and she definitely nurses longer than I used the pump per session so maybe I am just a worry wart-I have never been around a baby or even held one before I had mine so I am a learning a lot as I go. (I got a late start I guess, i'm 36yrs old)

I would like any info on diet/nutrition you may offer. Especially anything that is good that does not have to be refrigerated (our frige died in the hurricane and we only have a dorm size as a replacement till we save for a regular one) since refrig space is at a premium.

I picked up a lla leche league flyer and emailed the local group leader but never got an answer, maybe she is displaced due to the hurricane as many still are. That makes you and this website even more prescious as a resource. Thank you again for your information.