Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dehydration?

Default Dehydration?

Ds is now 6months old. He has been on a bottle strike all week (maybe even a little over). Luckily; he is not away from me everyday-He nurses great! but just wont take a bottle or even a sippy cup with milk. My daycare provider had to spoon feed him cereal and milk to get him to have any milk in 8hrs. He eats solids without problems and will take some water from a sippy cup.
    I'm worried he may be getting dehydrated; he had a little pink spot in his diaper tonight even though it was wet. The urine didn't look dark or concentrated in the diaper. He has nursed 4-5times today since 6am.
    Any ideas on the pink spot?
    Any ideas on getting him to take a bottle again?

Oh yeah and his tooth came through the gums today..would/could this be a culprit?

Thanks for any thoughts
    Breastfed for 20months

Default Re: Dehydration?

How many wet diapers are you seeing in a 24 hour period? It might be Uritic crystals (?).

Up to this point; I haven't noticed any changes. But since noon only 2-3wet. I'll keep an eye on it and keep better track of course now. I'll see how he feeds through the night and if his diaper is wet when he wakes to feed.
    Breastfed for 20months

Between 5-6 wet ( over 24 hours) in disposable diapies is about average. If you see less, then you might start to have some concern. Also If you can pinch the skin and it holds the shape of your pinch too long. But I do recall that the red stuff can be those crystals, and I do think it might have something to do with not enough water/milk. I know i spelled uritic wrong, but you could try and look it up or call your dr.

yes; thanks I did do a search and found out a little more about it. If I notice any tomorrow I'll call the pedi then.
    Hopefully it's just because he was refusing milk yesterday while I was at work and now it has *fingers crossed* fixed itself.
    Thanks for your help
    Breastfed for 20months

He has had a wet diaper since I started this thread. There was no color to the urine in the diaper and no red/pink either. So could it be resolved that quickly? I'll still keep an eye of course.
    Breastfed for 20months

You really don't have to worry about dehydration unless you stop getting enough wet diapers in a 24 hour period. Often children will Wait all day for their mothers. YOU will get dehydrated before you body allows it to happen to your child.

Way too lazy for formula