Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Travel in the early weeks?

Question Travel in the early weeks?

We travel often. Most stores are 30 minutes away, and my folks are 3-4 hours away. With our first two we ended up doing at least one of each such trips in the first month. We did not nurse on demand during these trips. We also did not stick with b/f through the difficulties encountered and didn't last more than 4 weeks with either. Now expecting our 3rd I wonder if perhaps we need to stay a bit closer to home with this one until we get comfortably established. At least this time around church and some firends (including experienced b/f moms) are only 10 minutes away.

Was traveling so much so early in the past admist other difficulties a bad idea? If we DO need to stay closer to home this time I just figure we need to plan on it ahead of time--make sure we don't plan on attending events far away for a while and maybe arrange for one of my in-laws to get our groceries when they get theirs. Etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: Travel in the early weeks?

I would just bf in the car. Department stores are over an hour and a half away, and going is an all day trip, so I always find some place to bf. I just have to wait to go in the store, or to shop. The good thing about bf in the car is that it keeps my other dd contained in her car seat.

So at an hour and a half away you understand the dilema. Did you wait a few weeks to make the trip, stop part way there if the baby was requesting to eat, or have the baby wait? Our first two nursed very frequently. With our first we caved to pacifiers to help keep from stopping to nurse every 15 miles.
    Thanks.

First I'd tell you don't beat yourself up about what happened last time. And how great that this time around you've already identified some experienced breastfeeding moms to give you advice and guidance. It sounds like you feel like you do want to stay a little closer to home, and that would maybe give you more relaxed time with your baby. It's tough to travel with a new baby anyway.

I lived far from things when my LO was small. We BF on demand and yes it was hard. I stayed home for the most part for the first two weeks. I had a few people offer to help me, and so I took them up on it (yes it was also hard to do so) and they did groceries and brought them to me. I would highly recommend stocking up your freezer, if possible, or at least some of the healthier canned/packaged foods eg. pasta, soups, etc. and also the necessities such as toilet paper, etc. All of this combined meant that I didn't do groceries or cook for about a month. When I did go out, I first found out where all the good places to nurse were. It was winter, and therefore the car was out of the question. We found that change rooms in stores worked well, and baby stores are usually good for that too. I also had friends along the way and would sometimes stop there if I needed to. When it got warmer, we used the car. It wasn't easy. We often had to stop multiple times on the way to and from things. If you are at a store, nursing in a sling or carrier that works well for that is good too. No one even knows. I got good at walking around nursing! But that took awhile.

We did go out way less though overall. I cut way down on trips. It also might be a good idea to stock up on supplies (non-perishables) for the long-term for those first few months, if you can. Or even do one trip a month for the bigger stock-up and just run in for the produce/dairy etc each week. Just some thoughts and things that have worked for me.

Definately its a good idea though to concentrate on getting nursing to a good start with your baby. Nursing on demand is the way that your body regulates how much milk there is and is very important to sucess. So make your life as simple as possible- later things will get easier and easier and you can venture out more and more if you choose. As my LO aged I could distract her more with things so that I could let her wait to nurse a bit without her going crazy. Mostly after about 7-8 months though when we gave her a sippy cup with some water and now she can eat dry food in the car etc.

I hope this helps.

Smile Re: Travel in the early weeks?

Thanks for your input ladies. I know I did the best I knew how the first two times, I just know a lot more now. Some has to do with expectations. If I expect nursing to be near constant at first, prepare to travel less, expect that I might have to alter my diet, etc. it would help me stay relaxed and roll with it when the time comes. It might help my extended relatives too if they know ahead of time that we won't be bringing baby for a visit right away.

Since I have a few months to due date I think I'll put a container in the garage and purchase a few extra cans of food each month to store up. Thankfully we do have a deep freezer, so I could make up and freeze some meals too.

Thanks!