Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing for going to work...schedule - How do you prepare?

Default Preparing for going to work...schedule - How do you prepare?

I start back to work on Monday.. and am anxious about the schedule/timing of things.
    Could you write what you do every morning and the night before to prepare for the work day?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDITED TO ADD: Baby is 9 weeks old.
    Last edited by Mommyto2; April 7th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.

Default Re: Preparing for going to work...schedule - How do you prepare?

This very much depends on the age of your baby, but in general, my routine has been that the night before I make sure to take out any foods for DS that need to thaw (I make most of his solids) in the appropriate portion size and leave in the refrigerator. Also, if I know I will need to dip into my supply of frozen milk for him to have enough for the following day, I thaw that as well and put it into a storage bottle with a "use first; thawed!" sticker on it. Then, I make a detailed list of whatever I want our nanny to know for the day, like what foods get offered when, if there are any specific activities to do or NOT to do for the coming day... I add to this in the AM with when baby woke up, when he had last nursing, when last pee and poo diapers were, etc. I have found it VERY important to leave a daily calendar book for nanny to record things throughout the day - when naps happened, when diapers were changed, when outtings happened, if anything else worthy of note happened. If I want DS dressed in particular clothing (he usually gets to stay in post-pajama sweatpants and sweatshirt thru breakfast - which I feed him before going to work - and first nap of the day), I leave those out. I also make sure to write if DS might need anything out of the ordinary, like tylenol for particularly bad teething. In addition, on that detailed calender, I note when I know I might be hard to reach via phone, and/or if we will have our usual noon-ish check-in via phone....
    I make sure my pump is ready to go the night before and just add the ice-pack before heading out in the morning. I try to pack my own lunch and, some nights, even mix a breakfast drink for myself to I can chug that down while pulling my shoes on before heading out the door - or, if I'm really thinking, I put it in a commuter mug and have it in the car! If I haven't physically taken them out the night before, I at least try to figure out mentally what I think I'm going to wear the next day...anything to save a few minutes so I can have those minutes to cuddle/play with/feed DS!

that was all rather disorganized, but you get the idea....
    Good luck as you head out....it's a tough transition to make, so be kind to yourself and realize that as much as it really is hard, it will get easier with time...particularly if you are comfortable with your caregiver...
    Jsmom

Our schedule before work goes like this (in excruciating detail):

DH gets up at 5 and showers, DS usually wakes up arround 530. DH brings him to me and I nurse him lying down. We both drift back to sleep. Meanwhile DH picks the baby's clothes and gets the bottles ready for daycare. Around 615 or 630 we get the baby dressed and changed. I don't always help with that depending on how much I need sleep. They leave for DH work/DS daycare by 645 at the latest.

I make coffee (mostly decaf), do some work e-mail while I drink it, shower and get dressed. That last takes forever. At some point I wash the bottles I'll be pumping into (I wish I had bought more!) and stick them in the cooler pack with the freezer packs. I keep my pump at the office. I usually leave around 730, 800 and remember in the car that I didn't eat breakfast. The timing all depends on how easy it was for me to find something I felt like wearing. (I started a whole thread on work clothes and nursing/pumping if you are interested.)

In the evening I get home around 6, put the milk away, start dinner or decide on takeout, and then settle in with the baby for his cluster feeding.

I hope this detail is what you are looking for! Go easy on yourself that first week and know that you'll be TIRED. I hope it all goes well. Don't forget to have fun!

Thank you for your responses. I expect to be tired - that is for sure! My daughter is now also growing through a growth spurt and is feeding every hour again! That has gone on since Thursday - hope it stops by Monday.
    Maybe she knows I am going back to work.

Default Re: Preparing for going to work...How did it go?

Mommyto2,

How was your first day? I hope it went well!

Thanks for asking! It went pretty well. I cried the night before and the morning after dropping her off.
    I have been super busy this week at work which helps, I think.
    Luckily - it has not been too hard getting into the swing of it - getting baby and other daughter ready. My husband has been a big help - thank goodness!

My favorite part of the day is picking her up!

I'm so happy to hear that your family is settling into a schedule that you like!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!