Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I hate pumping . . . HELP! PLEASE!

Default I hate pumping . . . HELP! PLEASE!

My DD is almost 5 months old and I have been back at work for almost 3 weeks. She is drinking 3-4 bottles a day at day care and the most that I am able to make for her is 2 bottles a day. It takes me two pumping sesssions to make one bottle and now she is starting to want more so it is going to take almost three pumping sessions to do a bottle. I have a double electric pump and am drinking tea, eating oatmeal, drinking beer and taking fenugreek. I have not seen any increase in production, if anything it has gone down. Pumping is very hard with my job and I am just getting tired of doing it.

I want to give my LO breastmilk for as long as I can, but getting up at 5 am to pump is killing me. I am tired all the time and can barely cope. Last night when she woke up at 12:00 I started to cry right along with her. My marriage is suffering because I am always tired and never have the energy to do anything with my husband. I have enough frozen milk to last until 6 months if I cut out the early morning pump session, but the frozen milk does not really sit well on her stomach. She always spits up a good portion of it.

What should I do? Rent a hospital grade pump and hope that my production goes up? Start taking domperidone? Supplement with formula during the day?

Help please.

Default Re: I hate pumping . . . HELP! PLEASE!

First let me say congratulations on making it this far. It's definitely not easy.

Sometimes I have to take BF'ing, Working, and Pumping one day at a time. I am determined not to stress out this time (#4). I send 1 bottle of formula to daycare w/ my LO just so I can stop fretting about not pumping enough milk.

A hospital grade pump would almost certainly help increase the amount you pump. I rented a Medela Lactina and once I got used to it I was able to pump 1 - 2 oz more each time.

If you can, I would try the hospital grade pump and see if it helps. How long are you gone during the day and how many times are you pumping?

I would have trouble waking up early to pump, too. I love my sleep. What I do in the morning is feed the baby on one side and pump the other. I still get some breast milk to store, but the baby can get more than enough to eat on the one side. I switch sides every morning to make sure the supply doesn't drop. I also pump one last time after baby goes to bed. I don't get a lot at that time, but it's enough.

I am pumping two times a day at work. I feed her around 7 and then pump at 9. Feed her at 11 and then pump at 2 and then feed her around 4. I can pump twice in the afternoon, but have been having trouble getting around to it.

I will look into renting a hospital grade pump and see if that helps.

Thanks.

I think a hosp grade pump will help. I used the hosp grade and had TONS of milk. BUT when I usedt he manual pump I would get next to nothing and it took forever.

good luck!