Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sharp shooting pains

Unhappy Sharp shooting pains

Hi, I am breast feeding 8 week old twins, in the last two days i have been getting sharp shooting pains in both breast, i do not have any lumps or fever so i am unsure what this is. I have taken paracetamol this afternoon i have been using lansinoh. I tend to feed my boys together and as a result they sometimes still latch on badly, they both did this last night, and due to tiredness it is difficult to correct quickly, as we end up in a vicious circle get one on properly and the other falls off etc. I am wondering if this is the cause? I also express at times. I initally started this to give one of my boys top up bottles due to him being a lazy feeder and not gaining enough weight.He is now feeding better and gaining weight, approx 7oz/week, my other son feeds well and often puts on 13oz a week. I have also noticed more stretch marks forming on both breast and when they feed it has felt in the last couple of days like my skin is ripping inside. Has anyone eles had this is it normal will it settle down? please any help/advice will be gratefully received. Lou (I have put this query in other section sorry if this is wrong i am new and unsure where to post)

Default Re: Sharp shooting pains

I was really sore and in pain for weeks while my body adjusted to nursing. Not one of those moms who just breezed right in to it. So some pain is normal, yes. I remember having to brace myself at first when ds would latch on (and we had proper positioning per our lactation consultant) and breathing through the first few minutes of each nursing session. That did pass. And yes, the girls do look a bit more worn at this point (ds is now 7 mo) but not bad. And I would imagine that with twins your milk production is going to be more, thus increasing the volume in your breasts and that can cause marks. Just keep them moisturized to help. As far as the feeding issues between the two, hopefully one of the LLL moderators could give some more feedback.

i really won't have much advice as far as your questions, but i wanted to post to say congrats on new babies and a big way to go (and how are you handling it LOL) for bf twins !!??!!?? we just were taking about tthat issue in my lll meeting on friday-our genereal response was "sometimes we wonder how with one, let alone two!!! " i remember early on i had a pain in my left breast that seemed to shoot almost from around my back, and it felt like i was being stabbed i do believe someone told me it was part of my letdown, breathing thru the pain will help, and mine subsided after a min or two. sore nipples, i only had for a few days in the very early weeks and it was all latch on technique problems, i couldn't imagine trying with twins, the only thing i can say is my ds is now 4 months and he self latches (almost always a good latch) and it does get easier at that point. good luck and keep coming back. i think there is a link for bf multiples you might wanna check out.

Hmmm...sharp shooting pains are often an indication of thrush. Have you explored that at all? You could have thrush and your babies could be asymptomatic but you may want to look in their mouth's to see if you see any white patches or an irridecent (sp) sheen on the insides of their cheeks.

Hi thanks everyone who offered ideas, i have explored them dont think its thrush. i think it is because i have been wearing wrong bra size. i got measured after birth as a 38d but today got measured by the NCT lady at 36F. so i think this explains it! Hope so as it has a simple solution. thanks again lou