Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation?

Default constipation?

My baby is 19 days old, and I´m breastfeeding him...

He poops several times a day, but my concern is this: around 4 or 5 in the morning he starts making faces and squirming around like he´s going to poop, and that goes on for hours, he arcs his body and gets very stiff... he isn´t actually crying, more like groaning...

What can I do?

Default Re: constipation?

Sounds like maybe gas? It's really common in lo's. Are you burping him well during feedings? You can also bicycle his legs, rub his belly in a clockwise motion, or put him face down across your legs. It gets better as they get older.

I agree with the PP. Arching the back is gas. Try more frequent burping during nursing....If this does not do the trick I sometimes resort to using Infant Mylicon. Works almost instantly.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

You could also try putting his bottom in warm water.

if it gets really bad you might want to consider cutting back on the dairy that you eat...or broccoli....anything 'gassy'
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Yup, this happened for us aswell. The worst time for it was early in the morning like you described. It gets better week by week. Pretty much all gone by 8-10 weeks.

Extra burping really helped us.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    if it gets really bad you might want to consider cutting back on the dairy that you eat...or broccoli....anything 'gassy'
    Thanks for the tips, but could you give me more examples of "gassy" foods, just to make sure I´m eating right...

The same thing happened to me. I gave her malicon after her evening feeding and this helped. She is 6 weeks old now and it is getting better. I haven't had to give her malicon in a week or so. It made me really nervous to. I think it was becaused by my heavy milk flow and because there intestines are not quit up to par when they are that young. Just so you know some gassy foods are wheat, milk, caffine, beans, cauliflower and broccoli.

First of all, CONGRATS on the new baby.
    Sounds like gas, my baby is always gassy and thats what she does. I use Mylicon drops and they work wonders. It could also be the foods you are eating. Here is some good info for you http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html
    This comes from a 100% bf website.