Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will nurse on only one breast...?

Default Will nurse on only one breast...?

I am finally able to nurse once a day with my 5 week old! We are working on milk supply and I am pumping the rest of the time. I am hoping that I will be able to bf exclusively very soon.

Problem is, my daughter will only nurse on one side. My breasts are very different and that is probably contributing to the problem. How do you go about trying to get your baby to try nursing on the other side? Should I ask a lactation consultant to help?

Thanks!

Default Re: Will nurse on only one breast...?

I had this issue too and it seemed to fluctuate depending on the day and the mood my dd was in. she eventually grew out of it, but yes, there were days when she would only want the left side... don't really know why...

I called her the "boob snob".

I had a much harder time getting my son on the right side. The LC was able to show me different positions that made it easier to latch him on. You might be able to get some tips on the forum, but if you have access to a LC, I would go that route. BTW, after a few months I no longer noticed the difference.

Just wanted to add that if you don't resolve this problem for some reason, your LO will still flourish just fine on one breast. Aaron has only nursed from my right breast since August (he was 4 mo old) and had no solids until 6.5 mo. He's done fine with only one breast. Mom, on the other hand, can't find a bra with one A cup and one D cup!