Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self-weaning?

Default Self-weaning?

Hi, all.

I BF exclusively for 4 mo with my daughter and recently began supplementing with formula about a month ago. I didn't want to do this, but I work full-time and she was wanting more bottles at day care than I was able to pump and provide. She's been having one bottle of formula per day and only after she finishes the expressed milk stash.

My problem though is this. Lately she's been extremely hard to BF. I have to swaddle her and bounce her just to get her to latch. The exception to this is when she wakes up in the morning (and she sleeps through the night). If I stop bouncing, she pops off and either looks around or starts fussing. What drives me nuts is that she DOESN'T do this when bottle-feeding! She'll happily sit still and suck the whole thing down, and it doesn't matter if it's BM or formula.

One hypothesis I have is that my supply is getting lower. I've been pumping only 3.5 to 4 oz per side while I'm at work and I only get to pump once. Another is that she's self-weaning, which a friend told me might happen. Are either of these a plausible explanation?

Please help! I know your supply is supposed to get lower when you supplement, but I don't want to stop BFing now. Do I still have time?!

Default Re: Self-weaning?

My DD is almost 5 months and I have had similar problems with BF since I went back to work. She takes bottles fine at daycare, but like you I have not been able to pump enough to meet her needs. I have a stash of frozen milk so I have not had to resort to formula yet. I think that BF has become harder because she is used to the fast flow of the bottles and then gets frustrated at the breast. She feeds okay in the middle of the night and the morning when my breasts are at their fullest. I don't know what the solution is, but I am going to keep going for as long as I can. Don't stress about the formula, you are giving her lots of breastmilk.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

From my understanding babies don't usually wean until they are older. I had similar problems with my first son at 6 mo. It was very hard and I ended up weaning him because I couldn't take the battle. If you can- stick with it- take advice from people on this forum and know that you aren't alone. Eventhough my son is a healthy and happy boy, I certainly regret having to give him 6 months of formula.

Do she do better once your milk letsdown? My son never had bottles, but he was highly distractable and would pop on and off, especially while waiting for letdown. She is way too young to be self weaning, but she might be showing a preference for bottles or a new interest in the world. You might try a slower flow nipple if possible. Hang in there...distractability does peak, then go away again eventually.

pak

my dd is 3mo and feeds on ebm in the day. but bcos i let her use the slowest flow nipple, she dont really fuss during bf. on the other hand, she somtimes fuss when taking bottle.

so i guess ur lo fussiness may be due to the preference of faster milk flow from the breast?

A friend of mine had a similar problem. Her son also started being distracted around 4 months and she gave him a bottle of EBM so that he will get his nutrition after that it was a downward slope since he started preferring the bottle to the breast and she had to pump exclusively after that. It wasn't weaning but just nipple-confusion I guess. My suggestion is stick to it. Actually that was the advice my friend gave me when my son went through the distraction phase at 4 months. I tried not sticking to the advice and give him a bottle but my son never took a bottle so I kind of had to stick to it If you stick it gets better. I also agree with the idea of slow flow nipples. Also when you are at home like on the weekends maybe you can try nurse-ins to remind your baby the taste of being close to the mommy while BF.

Thanks for the advice mamas, it really helps and is great encouragement.

I have another question now. Now that I have already started supplementing, my supply is drastically decreasing. I don't really know how this could happen, since dd only has one bottle of formula per day at day care and I still nurse her and pump the same amount of times I always did. Will this continue, or does the supply sometimes get lower and then higher again (I sure hope so!)...?

Thanks!

Here's some info about supply when pumping. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html