Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to pump - confused

Question Starting to pump - confused

nak
    I had been manually pumping with an Avent ISIS but only getting 1-2 oz. My LC suggested to try a double electric so I got a PIS. I have not used it yet but am trying to figure out when to pump. I need to get some ready because LO goes to a sitter starting Monday. I just don't know when to try an squeeze a session in, without increasing my supply too much. I just about have an OS issue figured out, and don't want to go back to where we started with that. I know I've heard to try to pump in the morning but do I feed DD first, and then pump, or what do I do?

Also, the last few night she has slept 6-7 hours but during the day, she wants to eat about every 3 hours, give or take a half hour or so. Should I be getting up then every 3 hours to pump if she's not waking up to eat? If so, and I get up to pump say at 4, and then she wakes up at 5, will there be enough for her to eat and feel full?

Any help is great. TIA!

Default Re: Starting to pump - confused

I would pump first thing in the morning after you BF your LO and then maybe try to pump each time after BF'ing. I also get up to pump once in the middle of the night now that my DS sleeps through the night.

I wouldn't worry about not having enough to feed your LO if you pumped an hour before. The pump is not as efficient as a baby and your breasts are never truly empty. I have fed my DS right after pumping and he may have to work harder at first to get a let down but he's never gone hungry.

Default Re: Starting to pump - confused

nak
    So if shes eating every 3 hours when awake but sleeping 6-7 at night, should I get up to pump?