Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating schedule changes?

Default eating schedule changes?

Hello,
    My son is now 4 1/2 weeks old. I had trouble breastfeeding at first, so for the first 3 1/2 weeks I fed him expressed milk in a bottle exclusively. Last week, he suddenly picked up breastfeeding, and we haven't gone back (hooray). However, he now spends the entire day nursing! When he was bottle fed, I gave him a 2-4 oz. bottle which he would drink in about 20 minutes, and then be content for the next 3 hours. He rarely got hungry in between or refused to finish a bottle.
    Since we started breastfeeding, he snacks for hours at a time - nursing a bit, falling asleep or pulling off for a few minutes, and nursing some more. His sleep schedule has changed too, and he seems gassier than normal.
    I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that eventually we'll get to a point where he won't "nurse" for hours and hours (literally) at a stretch. I'm not sure why switching from bottle to breast has produced such a change in his feeding personality. He is pooping more than ever and I took him today to get weighed, and he's gained a lot, so I know that he's getting enough to eat.
    Any thoughts or reassurance is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Kathy

Default Re: eating schedule changes?

It sounds like your doing great!
    Babies go through periods of enormous growth around three, six, nine and twelve weeks. Also at 16 weeks. So whether or not it just happened to start when you got your baby on the breast remains to be seen. It could also be that your baby has discovered the joys of the boobie! Comfort nursing? Cluster feeding will help to boost up your supply as baby begins to require additional milk.
    The gassiness is normal for the age, their digestive track is still maturing. Have you talked to your dr about gas drops? Mylicon Gass drops, can be purchased over the counter. Also bicycling their legs can help to get it out.
    When my boy was tiny I would place him across my thighs when I was sitting with my legs out in front of me, and rock him side to side.

Default Re: eating schedule changes?

Good for you! What a great mom you are -- pumping for all that time. It takes some time to get adjusted, and then when you get used to it, things will change again.

After nursing 3 los, I can tell you that breastfeeding is an amazing thing. Your baby will nurse more before he starts growing, before and during illness, when frightened, and sometimes just because he needs you. You will find yourself looking back and saying, "Oh, that is why he was nursing so much last week!" It has happened many times to me, and truthfully, my husband reassures me all the time. If at all possible just go with it. Have someone else help you with household chores, and simplify.

Best wishes to you!