Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just a little fussy, still

Default Just a little fussy, still

I don't know how many of you have seen my posts before, but I've been having problems nursing DS for a while. I went through all the possible reasons why, and can only conclude that DS prefers the bottle because of the rate of flow at which the milk comes out. I worked hard on getting my supply larger so that my breasts could at least *compete* with the rate of flow of a bottle.

I have seen MUCH improvement since last week and baby is back at the breast, almost full time!

My only issue now is that I am still slightly short on milk for her. She is fussing towards the end of feedings, about half the time. All the feedings during the day are great, and she comes off satisfied and full. But the feedings later in the day and into the evening are leaving her unfulfilled. She comes off the breast, fussing and whimpering. She latches back on, sucks a bit, and then comes off again, fussing. It's almost as if she is looking at me saying, "mama, there's nothing in there!" This happens during the nursing sessions at 6pm, 9pm, and 11pm (approx.) every day.

I have been pumping after each feeding during the day, in order to increase the supply for those meals. But I have NOT ever pumped after those feedings in the evening for which she is fussing about. Should I do that? Will that help, do you think?

THanks

Lisa
    Last edited by leecee; April 7th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Default Re: Just a little fussy, still

Hi Lisa,
    Yes, certainly pumping after those evening sessions would help your breast to make more milk. You may only need to do it for a couple of days before you see an improvement. Milk supply does tend to be lower at night, so it is not a surprise that dd is more satisfied earlier in the day. Could there be any other reason for her fussiness, or are you pretty sure it is supply-related? You are the mom-and you know dd best! I just wanted to cover all bases!

HTH

I don't understand . . . . . . I stopped pumping after those morning sessions over the weekend cause it seemed like the supply was established and the problem was fixed. Come Monday, there is not enough milk again? Am I doomed to having to pump after every nursing session for the rest of time, just to maintain a supply? Why doesn't my body keep up with her, even if she is not missing a session? My body seems to respond better to the pump, than to her. I had two different LC's watch her nurse and they both said her latch and everything was good.

Can you tell us why you feel your A.M. supply is inadequate?

Well, firstly there is fussiness at the breast after 10 minutes, and then I take notice that there is nothing coming out any more. Secondly, she has less wet diapers, and thirdly, my breasts feel "smaller" again, like pre-pregnancy size/shape.

This cycle keeps repeating: She gets fussy at the end of feedings and my breasts shrink, I pump for a few days and she is satisfied with most nursing sessions AND my breasts get bigger again AND she has really good wet diapers, so I stop pumping for a few days thinking we are "fixed" and then the cycle starts all over again with the fussiness, skantily wet diapers, shrinking breasts, etc. This has been going on for two months now . . . . . I don't understand. If supply is supposed to meet demand, how does it get messed up in the first place, if I am not working, not missing feedings, etc.