Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant Milk Clog

Red face Constant Milk Clog

Hey, have a question, I have been pumping for over 6 months. Recently, I have my duct was clogged for over 2 days. I finally was able to express the milk out, however, I keep getting clogged every other day on the same breast at the same site. I have no idea what is going on and I just want to stop the clogging. I use heat compress everytime when I get clogged and it usually works after 45 minutes. Some people said I am too stress out (with 1 toddler and 6 months old baby, and a full-time job) and I need to relax. I just want to know is there anything I can do to prevent future milk clog? Something I should avoid to eat? Thanks.

Default Re: Constant Milk Clog

First, keep up being proactive about emptying it. Also, feed your LO on that side as much as you can to empty it out as much as possible.
    Sometimes moist heat works better than dry heat, fyi.
    Are you wearing a restrictive bra at all? underwire? Maybe try skipping that for a few days.
    As for diet, try cutting out as much saturated fat as you can, and take lecithin supplements. Drink plenty of water.
    Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks! I'll try it. I am currently pumping every 3 hours, do I need to pump more frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by louisafailam View Post
    Thanks! I'll try it. I am currently pumping every 3 hours, do I need to pump more frequently?
    Not necessarily IMO. Allowing your breast to become overly full or engorged can definitely cause clogged ducts, so if that is happening, then I would pump the troublesome side more often. But be aware that pumping more often will stimulate more milk production also.
    I meant to ask, might you have a "milk bleb"? This is where the clog is actually stuck at the opening in the nipple and can look like a little white blister. These can be a pain to get rid of but might explain why the same duct keeps clogging.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

The clogging side is not too close to the nipple. Maybe I should message the breast more often during pumping to help prevent future clog? The side that is always clogged produce less milk than the other one, is that normal? Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your help.

You're welcome! I used to have problems with recurrent clogged ducts so I can understand what you're going through.
    Massaging the breast down toward the nipple might help unclog it, especially if you use a warm, moist compress before pumping.
    Here is some more information about treating clogged/plugged ducts. And some more for recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis.
    I don't know about the supply issue.
    hope that helps (HTH)!

Molly

I've only had a bleb once, but after I cleared it I started hand expressing just a little in the shower each day as a preventative measure. I have no idea if it's helped me avoid blebs, but it surely hasn't hurt anything....

hi there! i have been ep'ing for my twins for almost 9 months now. i had a major problem with a clogged duct for a couple of months before i finally got rid of it for good. do the warm compresses & all of that, it definitely helps.

the thing that really helped me was to pump with my breasts hanging downward. it looks really strange but gravity seems to help pull out the clog or something. i would rest my head on an ottoman to help get comfy.

good luck!