Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Horrible Headaches

Default Horrible Headaches

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but it can be almost debilitating. There are times when Hours will pass without nursing, normally this is because my daughter is not hungry. I will bring her to my breast and she will latch on, then look up at me and smile, then babble and it's cute, but it doesn't relieve the pressure in my chest. Most of the time when this happens I do not have my pump with me, and I start to get horrible headaches. Sometimes even migraines.
    I tend to believe that these headaches are in direct relation to the full breasts and the pressure...
    Is there anyone else out there who has a similar experience, or am I all alone in this?

Default Re: Horrible Headaches

I've never experienced what you're describing myself, but I can see how it could happen.

Could you hand express just enough for comfort? If you don't have a bottle or bowl with you, you could just express into a sink or toilet.

I get super irritable when DS hasn't nursed in a long time. I second the hand expressing. It has been a lifesaver. I've started taking a semi-disposable cup with us when we travel (he won't nurse for hours) that I express into and then give to DS. It takes a little bit of practice, but it's not hard, especially when you are really full. Here's a how to: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Thank you so much for advice...and for the link. As I type there is so much pressure and I can feel a headache looming. I have tried manually expressing before and failed. As soon as I saw the diagrams and instructions I ran to the bathroom (I am at work) and tried, in seconds I was expressing better than any pump has ever worked.
    I am just about to go home to my lo who is hopefully ready to be nursed, but if not, I am so thankful for another option.

She is 6 months old, sits pretty well, do you think that she is ready to try to drink from a cup?

Glad to hear you were able to express some. Even a newborn can drink from a small cup (like a medicine cup) and at 6 months she may be ready for a sippy. Just give it a try. The Nuby soft top is an easy one for them to start with b/c they just have to bite down a little but to get liquid out. DS had done best with straw cups--he can regulate the amount he gets more easily.