Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water for thirsty 4-months-old?

Question Water for thirsty 4-months-old?

My 15-week-old daughter used to sleep through most of the night but lately has started to wake up every two hours or so. She will root around, toss and turn until I feed her, and then, while she nurses, she will go back to sleep, often within a minute or so. She won't go to sleep any other way - pacifier, rocking by dad and all the other tricks that used to work don't help anymore. It seems to me she's not really hungry, just thirsty, so I was wondering if it would be ok at this point to give her some water or tea at night. I am concerned that she may get too chubby if I continue to feed her so much at night when she's not really hungry (besides worrying that she may get used to the frequent night-snacks and then want them all the time!). She's always been a big baby (in the 90th percentile for weight and length), but since she's started this habit a couple of weeks ago, she's gained more weight then length and is now in the 95th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for length. I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

Default Re: Water for thirsty 4-months-old?

Hi,
    My 4 month old is 22 pounds and 27.5 inches long. Recently, he started to wake up every 3-4 hours and I would nurse until he went back to sleep. This usually occurs in 5 minutes. He is definitely teething as I have seen and felt the little culprit. I don't give my son water because I feel that breastmilk is good enough. My ped told me to only give water when he does this because it will become a habit. He doesn't always wake up and I would rather nurse him.
    As far as weight is concerned, I wouldn't worry about you baby getting too big, especially if she is only breastfed.
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Default Re: Water for thirsty 4-months-old?

You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. No worries, there.

As for the water, that is not recommended or necessary. Breastmilk has just the right balance of water and nutrition. Water is not usually added to the breastfed baby's diet until solids are introduced.

You mention your baby is waking more often to nurse. This is VERY common for four month olds. Very. Here's more info: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html