Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you stop leaking if you had oversupply?

LLLSueAnn Guest

Default Re: When did you stop leaking if you had oversupply?

From my experience (15 years of LLL meetings) this varies. Some people never leak, some stop at some point, and some experience some leakage as long as their child is nursing. Well, come to think of it, I have heard of many mothers who can still express milk long after their babies wean. I think it has to do with your physiology, your reaction to various hormones and many other factors. So, you are not "abnormal." Hope that helps.

And just to share my personal experience with you --

I have a 23 month old and if she misses 2-3 nursing sessions, I leak! For example, she's been experimenting with sleeping through the night lately (when she often wakes 1-3 times per night to nurse) and when she does this, I leak when she nurses in the a.m.

Same thing if I've been away from her all day (happens rarely).

I think everyone is different in this aspect

my dd is one year old and i still have an over-supply, but i always say better too much than not enough!

we still have wet sheets and i still leak a bit. i just always make sure to put a pad under the sheet so it doesnt get tO the mattress.

I have a 15 month old and stopped leaking about 2 or 3 months ago. I had your problem, going through nursing pad after nursing pad. I found that using the lansinloh brand bursing pad worked best for me. I never did anything about my leaking except always wearing nursing pads and got a couple nursing bras that are for nighttime, no underwire kind of like a sports bra but with the I think it's called surplice or something like that style. It made it so I could be comfortable, still use nursing pads and also have easy access without any snaps or things like that. Your milk supply will eventually lessen. I remember thinking it would never stop, but it does