Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you stop leaking if you had oversupply?

Default When did you stop leaking if you had oversupply?

Hi, I'm a working mom to an almost 10 month old baby. I've oversupply issues from the beginning. Currently I pump twice a day so that he can have expressed milk during the day. We also cosleep and he eats a couple of times at night. I'm still leaking a ton at night and soaking the sheets, I keep hoping it will slow down, but hasn't yet, was wondering when it slowed down for those with oversupply, I'm getting tired of sleeping on wet sheets.

Default Re: When did you stop leaking if you had oversupply?

I can relate! I had an oversupply as well at first, then I cut out one pumping session and it helped to reduce the supply. Something else my ped mentioned to me that helped too was that throughout the night, my DS may suckle just enough for letdown to occur, then he'd fall back asleep. As far as my body was concerned, it was being told to make more milk b/c of this, thus my oversupply. I started keeping my nursing bra buttoned at night with my Curity nursing pads in. That way, he only nursed when he was really hungry and not just for a nibble...hope that helps!

Hi toymom
    There is no doubt that some of us are blessed with more milk than our babies need! Here is what has worked for some other mothers with oversupply.

Only nurse on one side for a set period of time.

Our breasts work independantly of each other.
    They only make milk when milk is removed.
    When we remove milk less frequently, they will make less milk

Most mothers with oversupply find that it helps to allot a time for each breast. Let me give an example.

From noon till 4pm, only nurse on the right side. Do not limit your nursing - respond to your baby's cues! - but only use the right breast.
    From 4pm to 8pm, use the left breast, and so on.
    If the *resting* breast feels too full, the express (or pump) JUST ENOUGH TO FEEL COMFORTABLE.

Do this for a few days to let your breasts get *readjusted.*
    This may be all you need to do, but some mothers find that they need to go longer, maybe 6 hours per breast, or even more. No two people are the same, so do what works for you.

When you pump at work, you could either pump just the one side per session, or just pump a little less than usual.

Please let us know how it goes!
    In the mean time, while you are regulating your supply, you might want to put a plastic sheet under your regular bottom sheet, and sleep on a heavy towel.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR
    P.S. Do check out the articles mentioned in the post I *stuck* at the top of the list in this forum.

With my elder, around a year I noticed I could stop wearing nursing pads. But I never did anything to correct for oversupply, as it never seemed to bother him.

With my younger, he didn't have as strong of a suck, and the OALD did bother him a lot as a newborn, so I took a lot of the steps detailed above to help. And it did work--I only had to wear nursing pads for 3 months or so. it was MUCH nicer.

i also am soaking the sheets at night, but i don't pump very often since i don't work, and it is almost exclusively my left breast that leaks. this started while i was still pregnant. yet, it is my left side that has severe nipple damage and thus gets less nursing. (incidentally, i also now have a blood blister on that side's areola.) why the huge disrepancy? what can i do to decrease it since i am not pumping much anyway? (the other night, my ds slept thru a 2 am feeding, and by 4:30, i was so full that he ate well for a good half hour on the left and then i still pumped five ounces and could have done more but i only had one bottle with me. i don't normally do this, but i was sooo uncomfortable and not in my own home...)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I guess I'm not quite as bad off as I think, I was able to give up breast pads during the day at around 6-7 months, it's mostly nights that are my problem. I do think I leak more at night when he is closer to me and constantly suckling therefore inducing the letdown, we recently have side-carred our crib to our bed and I'm trying to remember to move him to the crib, if I wake after he feeds, that seems to help alot. I did do the time alotment per breast when he was much younger and that really helped, since I'm working I haven't worried as much about that, but I may try it at night to see if it helps a little, hopefully I can remember what side I'm on . I do have a nice cotton matteress pad that I sleep on that catches alot of the leaking.

Wench-I've heard that if you preferred a side when the baby was a newborn than that side may always make more milk due to the amount of nursing that happened early on. The only thing I could suggest is to only pump off enough to make you comfortable if you go for a time without feeding on that side. If you pump off too much than you will continue to make more milk on that side.

With my first, it was around a yr I could stop with pads. Sooner with my 2nd.

I stopped leaking when my son was around 9 months old. Before that I leaked so much that I would drench through a cloth pad in no time and the only thing that would stop my clothes from getting soaked was Lansinoh disposable pads. I'm a SAHM and nursed frequently, just always had tons of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLnormaR
    In the mean time, while you are regulating your supply, you might want to put a plastic sheet under your regular bottom sheet, and sleep on a heavy towel.
    One thing I bought before the birth of my first was a sheet protector for a toddler's bed. You know the kind that you use for toddlers that wet the bed. It's a plastic sheet on the bottom, but it has a fabric quilted top layer, so it doesn't feel like plastic. You can put it on top of your sheets so you wouldn't have to wash your entire sheet set as often.

It was only around $15 CDN at my local Toys R Us and it did a great job for me... Though I never had the problems with leaking that I thought I might, but it was still a pretty reasonable priced option that might save you several loads of laundry per week if you buy one or two of them.

I still leak sometimes when my son hasn't nursed in awhile and he's 14 months. When leaked heavily I used a puddle pad.You can buy them at walmart. They come in all different sizes. I used the one for the crib on our bed. It worked good. And it's 100% cotton. Mandy