Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it because she is nursed?

Default Re: Is it because she is nursed?

If she had a significant weight loss right before the check up, then that could explain things. 4 ounces is alot when you only weigh around 20 lbs. That would be like losing 2 lbs for a 120 lb person.

If your doctor didn't seem too concerned then it is ok to keep an eye on it and see what happens. If it looks like she is not growing, look further into it.

I seem to remeber my daughter going from 75th percentile for weight and height at 2 months and dropping to 50th percentile for weight and 75th for height. This is where she has stayed pretty consistantly since. Our pediatrician said that it was her genes kicking in. (My husband and I both were also average height string beans. Not so much for my husband anymore! )

I have three children who couldn't be more different in terms of how they have grown since conception.

Taryn - healthy pregnancy, born one day before due date, weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz. bf for one week when bad advice and scare tactics from dr. ended that and we switched to formula. She has always been a big girl, though there is not an ounce of fat on the child. She is 11 1/2 now 5' 1", 95 lbs and her hands and feet are already bigger than mine. She is tall and muscular.

Nicholas - placental insuffiency and was 5 days early. 6 lbs, 15 oz which is an average size baby, but not for me considering my first baby was so large. he was exclusively bf (different dr and I had LLL to help me). We celebrated anytime the child hit the 5th percentile, he was so little. His arms and legs have always looked like twigs. He is 8 now and is much shorter than Taryn was at his age and is a stick. It seriously looks like a strong wind would snap him in half. The kid eats constantly but we can still see his ribs.

Landon - healthy, well-monitored pregnancy. 2 1/2 weeks early weighing 8 lbs, 11oz (see, I grow them big when I grow them healthy)! Exclusively bf, delayed solids till 10 months. He is somewhere in the middle of Taryn and Nicholas, although he is closer to growing similar to Taryn. He is 28 months old and 29 pounds now.

Taryn is taking after 3 of her great-grandfathers who were over 6' tall, Nicholas is taking after the other great-grandfather who was 5'4" and Landon is a blend of them. In our case, it is genetics, what they ate and how they developed in utero. Just because children share the same parents, doesn't mean they are going to grow the same.

My daughter has always been smaller than my 2 boys. So long as your ped. says she is fine I wouldn't worry. Also, these days we see so many fat or obese babys and children that sometimes our expectations are a little off. My 11 month boy is in the 40-50% in height and weight and I see babys his age that are way larger that he. I wonder how healthy that is.

Talk about differnt kids and growth patterns, my daughter who just turned 4, is and has always been small for her age. She was bf for 2 weeks due to complications and my stupidity then became a formual only baby. She has never been above the 30th percentile for anything. She was 6lbs 5oz at birth. My boy on the other hand is ebf and now 11 weeks old. he was 6lbs 8 oz at birth and now is 14.2lb. He is is the 93rd percentile for height and 75th for weight. The doc said as long as they stay similar on the scale there is nothing to worry about. THe way I look at it is I have a small petite little girl and a big manly man!! I wouldnt worry if your ped isnt concerned. Every baby is different even from their siblings

My dd was exclusively bf for 9 months then had some solids but preferred nursing. She was in the 50 percentile at birth and the 5% at one year and off the chart by 15mos. She is now almost 18mos and still hasn't broken 20 lbs. Our Dr just says that she's tiny and petite. My son is tall and thin and my other daughter is solid muscle (always in the 85%+) I think it really just depends on the kid. They are all a little different. As long as she has a good appetite, doesn't vomit or have diarhea I wouldn't worry.