Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it because she is nursed?

Default Is it because she is nursed?

My dd just had her 1 year checkup. She is 25th percentile for height and weight. My ped was totally fine with this, but those numbers shocked me because my sons never had a percentil below 70%. I guess it really does not matter...but do you think my daughter is smaller because she has been almost exclusively breastfed for a year? She still eats very little solid food. Again, my ped said her weight and height were great, he had no worries. I guess I am just concerned that she eats so little solids. He said she could have whatever solids she wanted, but she doesn't want them at all!

I was only able to nurse my sons to 6 months or so. They were eating a ton more solids at this age. One of my boys is a little on the heavy side, the other is tall and quite thin. Is any of this connected or does it just depend on each child's genetics? Should I be pushing more solids on her? Nursing her less? I hate to do that, she LOVES to nurse. I guess I am just a little concerned that she is so much smaller than the boys.

Her head circumference was in the 90th percentile!!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Is it because she is nursed?

IME she'll eat more solids when she is ready as long as you offer them. My son wasn't eating a ton of solids at a year and he was at the other end of the chart (big boy), so I don't really think that matters. Kids are just different. It's been really interesting to watch our 15 mo as he eats more and more by his choice. It seems like there were a few pretty dramatic increases that happened all of a sudden, so maybe she's getting ready for one of those.

I think as long as a child is getting sufficient calories (and their isn't any other health concerns) they will grow as big as they're genetics allow. I don't think breastfeeding will effect things one way or another.

Laura

Imo yourt daughter is probably a nice lean healthy weight....your son may have a bit of extra weight due to formula or fatty solids...AND it is that they are individuals and grow differently.

Breastmilk composition is completly different from formula or solids, meaning your body will use it differently.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

we were 10th for height and 5th for weight and 75th for head!!
    i think its due to bf.....he eats too....but he wasnt pumped up with formula fat
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

The growth charts most peds use were "normed" many years ago without respect to the way the babies were fed, and most of them got some formula. Exclusively BF babies have a different growth pattern.

Plot her on the WHO charts, which are new and were "normed" on exclusively BF babies all over the world. I bet she's in a lot higher percentile.

My son is 20th percentile on the peds chart but 50th for WHO. His ped is not worried; he is following his growth curve. Hope that helps!

Here's the link: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

My ds has always been "below average" for weight. My doctor always says it's better to be lean and healthy.

Has she always been at the 25th percentile? The key with growth charts is for a child to stay around the same percentile. If your child was 80th at 6 months and then dropped to 25th at 12 months, this would be concerning. A huge change in percentiles is concerning, not the percentile itself.

Hmm..she actually did drop quit a bit. I believe she was 50% for both at her last check up. He did not seem concerned, I guess we will wait until 15 months and then see.

She had to go in for her very first sick check this week and now she is on antibiotics. She had lost 4 ounces in less than a week.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

My DS has been almost exclusively breastfed (aside from a teaspoon here or there of solids, and some recent interest in crackers, etc.) and is at the 97% percentile for height, weight and head circumference. He is actually half of my height at 10 months. There is such enormous diversity to our wonderful kids; my guess is that your lovely daughter is simply lean, healthy and her body is maintaining its ideal weight.