Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopping EP

Default Stopping EP

I am trying to find out how to stop pumping. I have been EP and wanting to stop soon. How do I stop producing milk? Any help is appreciated. Thank You!

Default Re: Stopping EP

How many times a day do you pump?

I just recently stopped EP'ing. I was down to 4 times a day. Then one week I dropped to 3x a day. The next week 2x for a week. Then 1x a day for a week. After that I just tried to stretch it out as long as possible. I did become engorged once after that and pumped off a few ounces to relieve the pressure. Finally after about a week I went ahead and pumped and emptied my breasts and they've basically felt empty since then (which was 4 days ago).

I have no idea if what I did was the best way, but it worked for me.

You'll still make milk for something like 30-45 days.

I basically did the same thing as the pp. I would drop one session every week or so. I really spaced mine out as I didn't want to become engorged. Then when I was down to only one session a day I very slowly (every 4 days or so) would drop the minutes I pumped. If I was pumping for 20 minutes, I would drop down to 15, then to 10, then to 5, and then nothing. I never had a problem with engorgement and never felt full or uncomfortable.

I am pumping about 6 times a day right now. I am wanting to quit in about a 4-5 weeks.