Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upper lip problems

Question Upper lip problems

I've been attempting to BF my son (been bottle feeding him EBM for over a month now) and one major problem I have is that his upper lip is always tucked in when he sucks. He opens wide and the bottom lip is fine, but his upper lip is always "tucked in". How can I "correct" this? He does the same thing when he sucks on the bottle nipples. It's not an issue when he uses the small nipples (like Dr. Browns), but is when he uses the larger ones like the Playtex Drop-Ins. Any words of advice?

Default Re: Upper lip problems

This might be drastic, but I would have a doc take a look at the upper lip frenulum. I know my LO is terrible for not flanging his upper lip (especially lately since the teeth have started to come in). Anyway, I should really have someone look at his; I had to have mine clipped when I was 3 years old (it was causing a speech impediment) and my brother had a tongue-tie clipped as well (it wasn't discovered until he was a toddler; he wasn't BF).

Is his lip being tucked in causing problems for you or him? I know it's not suppose to be, but sometimes my son's is and he feeds fine and it doesn't hurt.

My son used to do the same thing. I was in no pain from the latch, and the LC I saw didn't see a problem. I did notice that the upper lip is really closely attached to the top gums and I worried maybe it would need clipping. But at 4 months he is doing a lot better no. His upper lip is always out. It just kind of happened on its own.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Will has been a lip tucker the whole time and is huge and healthy. Is it causing problems with suction or gas?

I guess it's not really causing any problems for me or him. All the pictures and articles about feeding always say the baby's lips should be "fish-like", so I thought it might be an issue I should look into. Thanks everyone for your replies!

As long as the latch isn't painful and he's transferring milk well, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I know one mother had a baby who never flanged his upper lip but they were doing just fine
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I had this same issue at first with my LO. At first I would always pull it out. It is good and bad b/c sometimes I pulled her lip to far out and released her latch. I would agree with other mom's just let it go if it isn't bothering you.