Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm a wreck! (long)

Unhappy I'm a wreck! (long)

I am just at a loss! My lo is 4 months old and has been a slow weight gainer since the beginning. He was born 7 lbs 6 oz and is now about 10 1/2 pounds. I've been supplementing, but have recently begun to wean him off the formula. Imo, everything is going fine. I know he's small, but I take him to get weighed twice a week and he's gaining. Today he went in for his well baby appointment, and surprise, surprise his doctor wants me to increase his supplement. He's fallen off the charts and she doesn't think he's getting what he needs. What got to me was that she said that even though he's meeting all his milestones, is a very happy baby, and is gaining, I could still be setting him up to have problems if he's not getting enough to eat. I don't know if i believe this, but just hearing it makes me question everything I've been doing. I was in tears the whole way home. Of course I want what's best for my baby. Today, I questioned for the first time ever, whether I should even continue to bf. It was so hard for me to even begin to supplement, and now that I've got him down to 1 ounce after every nursing, she wants me to give him 3-4 oz. /sigh...thanks for reading my long, rambling post...I just don't know what to do. I'm going to meet with a nutritionist, and thedoctor's request, so I guess I'll see what they say.

Default Re: I'm a wreck! (long)

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. My son is 4 months old, and a slow gainer aswell. How is your LO's length gain? My son is really long for his age, and because I see the length gain, I don't worry so much about him being so skinny. My son is SO active, and I feel that he burns off a lot of what he eats.

Have you been tracking his diaper output?

I don't know the LLL stance on this, but Dr Newman has a handout that suggests starting low-allergen solids instead of formula at this age. That might be something to discuss with the nutritionist.

Please don't give up BFing. Its not an all or nothing thing. You could do both if you have to! He'll still be getting all those good immunities and nutrients from your milk.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. My son is 4 months old, and a slow gainer aswell. How is your LO's length gain? My son is really long for his age, and because I see the length gain, I don't worry so much about him being so skinny. My son is SO active, and I feel that he burns off a lot of what he eats.

Have you been tracking his diaper output?

Lyn

Thanks for the support...I know I won't give up bfing...it's way too important to me. My son's gained 6 inches in length (he's in the 50%) and his output is normal. He's also VERY active. When I mentioned this to his doc, she said that wouldn't really make a difference. I'm thinking of changing docs. I know she's not well informed about bfing and I think she was surprised at how informed I was. I like her for everything else. I think she's just very cautious and doesn't want to risk anything. My mom said I was a pretty small baby, too, so that might have something to do with it. We'll see what the nutritionist has to say...I'm always up for another opinion!

Its good to get a second opinion if your mother's intuition is telling you something different than your pediatrician.

We are really lucky with our ped. She isn't concerned about Daniel as he is following his growth curve. She reminds me to look at DH and my body types. We are both tall and thin. Babies come in all shapes and sizes. Its just so hard to defend the health of your child when people think healthy = chubby.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Do you have to suppliment with formula or could you pump after feedings and start supplimenting with bm instead? We've never had a weight gain issue with Xander, but we just weaned him off of formula suppliments ourselves. My sister though had a really hard time gaining weight as a preemie and I remember my mom supplimenting with EBM instead of formula. to you, do what you think is best, even if it means visiting another ped for a second opinion, or maybe even a lc could have some advice for you.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

First let me say that we all doubt ourselves at one point or another. My lo is a slow gainer too. I have supplemented, started solids, ect and no matter how much I feed her, she doesn't gain quick. We supp for the first 2 months and occasionally after that. My doc isn't concerned because she is on a steady curve- I think we are in the 10% now. She was 8 lbs 14 oz at birth at a 9 months she is 16 lbs 3 oz. She is 75% height though.

If you truely think your lo is at risk, I would try increasing her formula like the doc suggests, just to see if he gains faster. He might be like mine and not gain anymore. She just didn't want anymore, she was getting enough breastmilk. Just make sure you are nursing him before you supplement, so your supply doesn't go down. Also , pumping after you nurse might help increase your supply.

We all want what is best for our babies, or we wouldn't have chosen to bf. Follow your intuition and heart. You are doing a good job, keep it up

I just wanted to say thanks for all the support...to answer the above question, I've never been able to pump very much, so I can't just supplement with that. I think I've decided to up his formula a little and see if he gains more weight. I figure if he does, then he probably needs it, if he doesn't gain more, he's just a little guy. When I was preggo, it was never my intention to let any formula ever touch his lips, but I know I need to do what I feel is necessary for him. I'll continue to nurse him first, then offer the formula and we'll continue to do that until he's at least a year old, maybe longer. That way he'll continue to get the good mommy milk too. I'm just so tired of always worrying about him and wondering if he's getting enough. Hopefully, this will help and I won't have to worry about that anymore. I'm sure I'll find other things to worry about.

Don't feel too discouraged, just because you use formula now doesnt' mean you will use it forever. I got my lo off formula supp at 8 weeks. It was a slow process- I started like you-supp after each feeding, and eventually got down to once a day, then none. A couple of times after that I have tried to supp again to see if she would gain any faster- like I said, she didn't. I agree with your approach, if he does gain better, he prob needs it. Good luck. It took me a good 6 months to stop worrying about my lo's weight. That is when I realized she was just going to be small no matter I did. You are doing the best you can- What more can you ask?

Is reflux even a possibility. After my experience, every time I hear slow weight gain I think reflux.

I did the same thing as you. I figured out how much formula it was gonna take to keep my lo gaining weight and resigned myself to giving her that much every day. After a while, I did it in two bottles instead of after every feeding just because I got tired of making so many bottles. I pumped when I gave the bottles to get a little stash going. After a while, I was able to pump enough every day to replace one bottle of formula with EBM. So, she gets one bottle of formula a day. Then, when she started on solids, I gave the solids before I gave the formula. That way, if she was gonna drink less, she took less formula instead of taking less from the breast. My dd gets about 7 oz of formula a day. I try to make it work for me by using that time to be Mommy time and letting someone else feed her once in a while so I can get out of the house.

Hang in there. It's hard when it's not going as you expected it to. But, just because you have to supplement doesn't mean you can't breastfeed.