Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to increase supply in one breast?

Exclamation Please help! How to increase supply in one breast?

Please -- anyone give me advice on how to boost milk production on one side? For a couple of months my 6-month-old has been refusing the left breast altogether. At first I thought, no problem, I'll let her go with the right side if she wants. But now there are two issues: 1) I have no "back-up breast" when the right cracks or bleeds, and 2) I am really, really lopsided and would prefer to have her nursing from both sides, especially as she grows and needs more milk. I want to nurse until she's 12-18 months, and can't imagine going that long using just one breast. The "unused" breast still produces a very very small amount of milk when I try to hand-express, but using the pump is very painful on that side. If my baby's feeling very cooperative I get her to nurse on that side but she just does the "start-up" suck forever and never gets enough milk to start the swallowing. Then the nipple hurts for ages afterwards. Advice, please???
    Last edited by elena99; April 7th, 2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: refining info

Default Re: Please help! How to increase supply in one breast?

Quote Originally Posted by elena99
    Please -- anyone give me advice on how to boost milk production on one side? For a couple of months my 6-month-old has been refusing the left breast altogether. At first I thought, no problem, I'll let her go with the right side if she wants. But now there are two issues: 1) I have no "back-up breast" when the right cracks or bleeds, and 2) I am really, really lopsided and would prefer to have her nursing from both sides, especially as she grows and needs more milk. I want to nurse until she's 12-18 months, and can't imagine going that long using just one breast. The "unused" breast still produces a very very small amount of milk when I try to hand-express, but using the pump is very painful on that side. If my baby's feeling very cooperative I get her to nurse on that side but she just does the "start-up" suck forever and never gets enough milk to start the swallowing. Then the nipple hurts for ages afterwards. Advice, please???
    I am so sorry that you are experiencing this difficult situation. I can understand your reasons for wanting to produce milk in both sides. Maybe with a little more info I can give you some suggestions.

It would be helpful for me to know why your right nipple sometimes cracks or bleeds. Has this always happened? Have you seeked any medical help or seen an LC or LLLL for this? Cracked and bleeding nipples are not normal and you shouldn't have to go through that!

Also, what type of pump are you using? The best way to increase supply is to nurse (or pump). It must be very frustrating for you to want to increase supply to that breast, but dd doesn't seem to want to help with that! She probably knows at this point that the milk is in the other side. You mentioned hand expression. Has that worked for you in the past?

I'm sorry I don't have more suggestions right now. But I think it would be helpful for me to have a better picture of what's going on before I suggest anything else.