Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort sucking

Default Comfort sucking

My LO has BIG wind/gas probs - farting lots not burps. He seems to have to strain for a long time before successfully farting or pooing and seems to be in considerable discomfort all the while. This can go on for hours and frequently all night. As soon as he has farted/pooed he is happy and smiley for a few hours till the next bout kicks in. Recently, he has started what I assume is comfort sucking - he's been latched on now for just over an hour and a half! He doesn't actively suck or swallow till I try to reclaim my nipple when I assume he's dozed off. He also frequently wakes during the night for hugs and a very quick feed - sometimes every hour and a half (I'm one sleepy mum). So, two questions: 1) Is this ok? Will I get engorged or sore cracked nipples? Has anyone yet died of sleep deprivation? 2) Could his inability to fart/poo easily be reflux related?
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

Default Re: Comfort sucking

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    5. I wouldn't think it's reflux, has been hot were you are? maybe he needs to nurse more to get enough water to make the poo softer? IS it hard? Have you tried putting his legs up and making them go in a bicycle motion? Is it more often after you eat certain foods?

And by the way, you asked 5 questions not 2, maybe mama needs a nap
    Yes it's warm here but he has very liquid poos. I do regular Disco Baby / Bicycle Baby leg movements and this sometimes helps but he won't assume the position if he's in real pain. He does do lots of arching his back and I thought this was a symptom of reflux...? Haven't eaten any exciting foods lately - lots of toast and pasta.
    Mama needs to learn to count. And what is this 'nap' you speak of? Doesn't exist where I come from.
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

I remember those gassy days! From about 3 weeks to about 10 weeks were the worst! 8 weeks it started to improve, 10 weeks it was pretty much gone. The early mornings were the worst. Daniel really seemed to struggle with it, but its not uncommon.

Now, at 4 months, Daniel is laying on my lap asleep, farting away without stirring. So cute.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

When babies are learning the muscle movement required to pass gas and have b.m.s it can really look as though they are in discomfort. They tend to over exert until its learned properly.

My LO was farting really nasty farts for a few weeks and a woman from LLL said maybe it was an allergy. So, we started on soy formula (we have to supplement) and he is much better. I believe it is a milk allergy. I guess stinky farts aren't normal in babies and could imply allergies!

Actually, I beg to differ.
    It really depends on the age of the baby. Once your baby starts spacing out its bowel movements ( somewhere between 6 weeks - 5 months old) you will notice a very different odor. Instead of the buttery slight stench, it turns into "Holy- moley". I have discussed with my friend Shelly about what could possibly account for the change in gas smell, and we believe that it might have something to do with the gas having to inch past all the poop thats just sitting in there waiting to be expelled. Just one hypothesis. Not all bad smelling gas is bad gas; no cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Actually, I beg to differ.
    It really depends on the age of the baby. Once your baby starts spacing out its bowel movements ( somewhere between 6 weeks - 5 months old) you will notice a very different odor. Instead of the buttery slight stench, it turns into "Holy- moley". I have discussed with my friend Shelly about what could possibly account for the change in gas smell, and we believe that it might have something to do with the gas having to inch past all the poop thats just sitting in there waiting to be expelled. Just one hypothesis. Not all bad smelling gas is bad gas; no cause for concern.

Thats happening in our house lately, and nothing has changed in my diet. Its a "clear the room fast" smell

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)