Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Once milk supply is established...

Default Once milk supply is established...

I'm curious about the following....

Once your milk supply is established does the amount generally stay the same, if of course you're emptying your breasts every 3 hours.

I go back to work on Thursday (LO will be 12 weeks next week) and am wondering if my milk supply will remain around the same, if I'm pumping 3 times day at work or if I should expect a dip.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Once milk supply is established...

Congratulations for making it this far after a bumpy start! I hope your transition back to work goes smoothly.

Hypothetically it should stay the same if you're nursing / pumping at the same frequency (it's still a demand and supply system - LO will nurse more during a growth spurt to build more supply). Some moms here have reported a dip when they head back to work because of the change in routine, possible stress, and pumping under less than ideal conditions. I know it's hard to do - but try not to get stressed, and try using pictures (and/or sounds or LO's clothing) to help with let down while pumping at work.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hi,
    I am so glad I logged on today because at 4:30 this morning I was in tears. I have just returned to work yesterday after an 8 week maternity leave. Yes, I was stressed yesterday and I accidentally skipped lunch because I went to his daycare to give an afternoon feeding. Everything has been going great and my son feeds every 3-3 1/2 hours and about 5 hour increments at night. Sunday and last night he slept from 11:00 pm until 5:00 in the morning and I slept through as well. The problem is that when I woke at 4:00 realizing he didn't wake up I couldn't get any milk out with the pump. He then woke at 5:00 and I fed him with whatever was in there. I then dropped him at day care. I went back and fed @ 9:00 and had milk to feed and pumped 3 oz. on the other side. I am not sure what happened or what to do. I have had lots of liquids today and am praying that tomorrow I will be back on track again. Does anyone have any advice on when your child sleeps through the night if I should get up and pump around 3:00 am to make sure milk is still coming in....My advice thus far is to drink LOTS of fluids and don't stress!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Does anyone have any advice on when your child sleeps through the night if I should get up and pump around 3:00 am to make sure milk is still coming in....

Lately, my LO has started sleeping 6 - 8 hours at night. I get up and pump around 2am most nights (if I can drag my but out of bed). This way I feel like I have a little extra milk in case some days I don't pump as much as others.

I have found that towards the end of the work week I do start pumping 1 -2 oz less than at the beginning of the week.

Don't be surprised if for the 1st week or two you don't pump as much as you would expect. Sometimes it takes awhile to get into the rythym of working & pumping.