Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what should poop look like when you start solids?

Default what should poop look like when you start solids?

Hi--I've read in the LLL FAQ that if food comes out looking undigested, it can be a sign that baby is not ready for solids. My daughter is 6 months old and seems really ready to eat. I just started feeding her some banana mashed up with breastmilk, and I notice that there are some lumpy lil banana bits in her poop.

I would not say that the banana is coming out totally undigested or anything--the poop just looks different than the breastmilk poop. So--I guess what I'm asking is: does this sound normal? We have a history of food allergies in our family so I'm wary about stressing her intestines out here. But she does seem ready to eat and seems to enjoy it

Default Re: what should poop look like when you start solids?

I fed DS mashed up bananas, and his poop looks full of little fibers. When I first looked at it I thought is was worms (it isn't though!) I don't remember ever having this issue with DS 1. I am wondering the same thing! Did you see little fiber things?

Default Re: what should poop look like when you start solids?

yeah, that's just about how I'd describe it. I'm not so worried about it any more--I found something on the web (that I can't find again, dang it!) that basically indicated the little fiber things are normal